cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

1.How to Compress ODS Data, give complete steps.Or is it possible to compress ODS data.

2.And also sometimes Infocube data is not able to Compress,kindly give me reasons and any settings have to make.After compression how to retrieve that data, give me steps.Thanx.

regards,

VJ

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi VJ,

Compressed data exists in the E fact table and not F fact table. Goto se11/se16 and use /BI0/E<cube name> for standard cubes and /BI0/E<cube name> for customised cube.

Hope this helps.

Bye

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for your information.I am trying to give points, but there is some error coming.Hope you got.

regards,

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds like a little confusion on Compression. As mentioned, data is loaded to the F fact table. When you run a compression (sometimes also referred to as Condense) you can compress all Request, or retain a certain number of Requests in the F fact table uncompressed. Compression runs a query to select the Requests you want compressed and summarizes them and writes them to the E fact table, then deletes the Requests from the F fact table.

As part of moving the data to the E fact table, the Request ID is eliminated. So you want to be sure you don't need to backout a Request before you compress it, because once compressed, you can no longer back it out. Might be able to do something with a Selective Deletion depending on your data, or you might have to reconstruct or reinitialize the the cube.

When you run query against a cube, the BW automatically generates two queries, one against the F fact table and another against the E fact table and then merges the results, so you do not have to do anything special.

Compression generally improves query performance by reducing the number of rows that need to be read and reducing the number of partitions.

It is possible to compress an ODS with Oracle (and perhaps other DBs), but that relies on using database compression rather than any BW features. This would be something for the DBA and has lots of implications. The majority of shops have not implemented DB compression, but a few have - I know I have seen a powerpoint floating around on the web from OfficeMax (Large US office supply retailer) detailing some of their results.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Go to SE16 enter the table name /BIC/F*******

Where ****** refers to infocube name..

U will get the data of F fact table

Regards

Siddhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After compression the request IDs will be deleted from the E fact table not from the request tab...

If at all u want to delete the requests then all the data will be lost...make sure that u dont need that data...

As for as reconstruction is concerned, if u want to load the data from PSA to same cube or other cube, all the requests or selectively..u can done..

Regards

Siddhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi VJ,

You would need to delete all the data in the case of a compressed cube. Goto RSA1 -> Cube -> Right click -> Select "Delete data". It would throw a pop-up , select Fact & Dim. Then reconstrcut the requests that you need.

Bye

Dinesh

Message was edited by: Dinesh Lalchand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

Thanx for reply.

How to see the compressed data in the F Fact Table.Any t-code.give me steps.

Thanx.

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

1.How to Compress ODS Data, give complete steps.Or is it possible to compress ODS data.

2.And also sometimes Infocube data is not able to Compress,kindly give me reasons and any settings have to make.After compression how to retrieve that data, give me steps.Thanx.

regards,

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can't compress ODS; in the cube probably you have some request not in green status.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no activity called compression of ODS data. After populating the data to ODS you have to activation of Data .Do you mean that one?

With rgds,

Anil Kumar Sharma .P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

But how to retrieve the compressed data from Infocube.

thanx,

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

But how to retrieve the compressed data from Infocube.

I think with Reconstruction tab in Manage. But even after compressing and releasing the data. Request ID is not deleted by delete button in Request Tab.And Reconstruction is not possible unless request ID is deleted. So how to delete the request ID.What should we do to delete the request ID.

thanx,

VJ