cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compound characteristics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

It will be of Great help if someone is able to describe the practical use and importance of Compound Characteristics thru some examples you have come across.

Thanks & Regards,

Sumita

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumita,

Another great example of a compounded characteristics is <b>0MAT_PLANT</b>. (<i>0MATERIAL compounded to 0PLANT</i>).

There are certain attributes that only make sense when you combine 0MATERIAL and 0PLANT such as - <b>Safety Stock</b>. Safety Stock attached to 0MATERIAL alone means nothing because you dont know to which SITE (PLANT) this safety stock pertains to. This attribute varies from PLANT to PLANT under the same MATERIAL so it is necessary to have a Characteristic that is based on 0MATERIAL + 0PLANT compounding.

--Jkyle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi GFV,

Have you ever used the info object 0BPRELATION. It has few compound characteristics, and the purpose of having these for 0BPRELATION infoobject is not clear, is you could help.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Best Regards,

Sumita

GFV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sumita,

no I never used 0BPRELATION, and from what I see <b><u><b><i>it's obsolete</i></b></u></b>, since the fact that the description in my sys (BI_CONT 3.2) is "Obsolete: Please use ODS 0BP_REL".

By the way, another way of thinking a Compounded InfoObject is thinking as if the ID of the Characteristic is formed by all the Characteristc in Compound plus the basic one.

0BPRELATION as compound has:

0BPARTNER1

0BPARTNER2

0BP_RELTYPE

0BP_RELDIR

so this is as saying that to identify a single relation you must "concatenate" 0BPARTNER1, 0BPARTNER2, 0BP_RELTYPE, 0BP_RELDIR <b>AND</b> 0BPRELATION

I noticed that ODS 0BP_REL has the same key <b>plus</b> 0DATETO (i think to track changes ...)

Hope it's clear.

GFV

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks it was a useful answer

GFV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sumita,

a compounded charcteristic is an "additive", "necessary" information over another characteristic, that without the compund has no sense, because leads to ambiguity.

Probably the most famous examples of Compounded Characteristic could be:

Account and Chart of Account

Cost Center and Controlling area

Fiscal Year and Fiscal Variant

See even http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sem40bw/helpdata/en/e3/e60138fede083de10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm

Hope it's clear (... and if so remember to reward)

GFV