cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare UNIX and iSeries

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am very well versed for UNIX based SAP.

Now I am asked to handle iSeries based SAP.

Could you help compare unix and iSeries , e.g. what is the equavelent od the following unix command in iSeries?

ls -a

uname -a

ps -ef

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Linda

First of all, to get started with AS/400, almost all commands you run on Unix are compatible on i with QShell (command qsh). As a temp solution, it can help you get familiar with i5/OS and go deeper. By the way, kernel 710 systems can be only installed by qsh command and to start a separate UI window on other supported platform......

For the installation part, installation guide is good enough and pretty self-explanatory.

ADM525 is the best material about SAP solution on IBM i, after reading through that, I realized that iSeries is totally different from other platform like Win, Linux, AIX and HPUX, not to mention multiple combination with different DBs, because it simplifies everything for you. DB administration, disk configuration and interfaces monitoring, all these headache parts you must pay 100% attention on other platforms, don't exist here. All done by OS itself, mostly......

Enjoy your ride there,

Effan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Effan:

I ask my manger to allow me to attend ADM525 and related training but she has declined because of budget issues.

Where can I get ADM525 material?

Thanks!

\[removed by moderator\]

Edited by: Jan Stallkamp on Aug 30, 2009 1:11 AM

JanStallkamp
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Linda.

The ADM525 class material is copyrighted material. As far as I know there is no way to buy this material from SAP or IBM other than participating in one of the classes. Do not ask for someone sharing this material here in the forums. Do not ask for material to be sent to your e-mail adress. Please read the forum rules of engagement about this subject.

Regards,

Jan Stallkamp

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Linda,

I don't know if that is the right approach. We can certainly list command equvalents, such as:

ls -a => WRKLNK

ps -ef => WRKACTJOB

uname -a => no direct equivalent, use DSPSYSVAL SYSVAL(QSRLNBR) to get the system serial number (uname -m), DSPSFWRSC to get the operating system veraion and release (uname -v, uname -r),...

You can also start a Unix shell by executing the IBM i (or i5/OS) command CALL PGM(QP2TERM). Please note that not all Unix commands and few Unix tools are supported in that shell, but maybe it helps for a start.

In general, I would suggest some basic IBM i education, such as the class ADM525 "SAP NetWeaver on DB2 UDB for iSeries: Database Administration", which is offered occasionally by IBM.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.