cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code 128 Barcode Shrinks when using SAP Crystal Reports Runtime

0 Kudos

I am using Crystal Reports 2020 Support Pack 1 (Version 14.3.1.3701) to design reports. The reports are run using SAP Crystal Reports Runtime (64 bit) (Version: 13.0.18.2192). The reports include a Code 128 barcode provided by IDAutomation. The fonts are installed on both the client PC and the server that runs the reports using the Runtime.

The fonts preview perfectly in the preview mode in both the Crystal Designer and when run using the Runtime. The fonts export perfectly to a PDF using the Export feature in the Crystal Designer, but when exported from the Runtime they shrink or totally disappear. I've tried different font sizes, but nothing works.

I've seen recommendations for changing Registry settings, but:

1. It is not clear if these settings need to be changed on the individual client PCs or the server that executes the Runtime.

2. The settings differ based on the version of Crystal Designer / Crystal Runtime, and I don't see anything that is associated with Crystal Reports Designer 2020 or Crystal Reports Runtime.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jeffreymergler
Discoverer
0 Kudos

On behalf of the OP, I just wanted to state that we ended up using a UFL from Millet CUT Light called uFLBBarcode128 to make the label work as desired. It was inexpensive and the support from Millet Software was great and way easier than experimenting with registry entries as we'll need to repeat this on several production servers later. Highly recommend Millet Software going forward.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

Now that you have updated the runtime try these Registry keys also:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\Crystal Reports\Export\PDF]

"ForceLargerFonts"=hex(b):01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

"UsePrecisePositioningForText"=dword:00000001

"TruncationAdjustment"=dword:00000006

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you want to avoid the font issues, you can use a Crystal Reports UFL (User Function Library) to generate the barcodes as images rather than as text. Ken Hamady maintains a list of 3rd-party UFLs here.

Here is a description of how my CUT Light UFL generates barcodes as images in Crystal Reports.

jeffreymergler
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Ido, thanks for the information. I'm helping Wayne (the OP) work on this problem. It appears that your cut light product can display a product lot no as a code 139 barcode, right? More tech: this UFL would be deployed on a Windows Server hosting our ASP.NET web application which uses the CR runtime v13.0.33 to print and preview Crystal Reports (our current report displays the barcode but once its printed to PDF the barcode is lost). If you're confident your product can do this, I will purchase licenses today.

Thanks, Jeff

0 Kudos

Thank for the suggestions Dell & Don.

Unfortunately, there's no change in the export to PDF when run from the Runtime. It still shrinks or disappears.

I saw a workaround that accomplishes the task, but it is not as quick and clean as the PDF export. What DOES work is to export it to an RTF and open the file in Word and then print the labels with the barcode from there. Not an elegant solution, but it works.

I'll continue to see if there's any other settings or upgrades to software that might address this annoyance.

0 Kudos

Also, you are using SP 18, very old and no longer supported.

I suggest download ing SP 33 which was just released:

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Crystal+Reports%2C+Developer+for+Visual+Studio+Downloads

And see the Blog to assist upgrading your project.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have access, the information can be found here: 2165260 - *** Master KBA *** List of Registry Keys used in Crystal Reports, Crystal Reports for Visu...

The "base paths" for Crystal 2020 registry settings are

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\

The setting you need to use is at ...\Crystal Reports\Export\PDF and is named ForceLargerFonts, which is a dword and should be set to 1.

This needs to be set on the computer where the runtime is installed.

-Dell