Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clustered environment servers setup

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have some doubts on the selection of servers on distributed environment.

Let me explain in detail.

Box 1 : Web tier only.

Box 2: BO core servers.Under the platform services tab.

Box 3: Webi servers only.

Box 4 : Crystal+Explorer+Design studio.

In above scenario which extra services needs to be select for Box 2.

Connection services are needs to select for  this box.Or i need to select the connection services with webi and crystal servers.

Database access drivers are needs to be select with Box 2.

Box 3: Webi servers

In this box connection services are needs to be select or for box 3 and box 4  will select the connection services only for Box 2.

Database access drivers are needs to be select with Box 3.

Data federator services are need to select for each box?

Box 4:

In this box connection services are needs to be select
Database access drivers are needs to be select with Box 4.

Box 3 and 4 will be clustered with Box 2.

Regards,

Amit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best approaches for clustering considering your landscape availability i.e 4 BOX as follows.

1) Web Client Tier - TOMCAT ,IIS ,Websphere.

2) CMS,EVENT,CACHE,CONNECTION,IFRS,OFRS : Intelligent Tier BOX1

3) WPS,WJS,DPS,DJS,APS : Processing Tier BOX2

4) Crystal,Explorer,Design Studio.-- As per your client requirement BOX3

1) Central Manage Server is Background Process for CMS Database.

Hence, We need to Install CMS Database in Intelligent Tier (BOX1).

2) In order to connect to CMS database there should be connection server. Hence, we should install Connection server in Intelligence Tier (BOX1).

3) Since, connection server and cms server both are in intelligent tier, we should install Audit database also same machine and install database drivers.

4) Even though you install IFRS/OFRS on same machine (i.e. intelligent Tier),you need to map folder location to other SAN/NAS file server drives.

* When you install IFRS/OFRS more than one machine then you need to take care of the path of drives should be same across the servers.

PS: CMS is a intelligent tier it communicate with all other servers(Process servers,Job servers,crystal servers,explorer,etc),do the tasks irrespective of whichever system they are located/installed (*only clusterd environment).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinath,

Small correction.CACHE,CONNECTION servers needs to be included in the Processing Tier.

Not in the intelligence tier.

These two services will mostly communicated with the processing server, hence they needs to be in Processing Tier.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okey.

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Amit,

All the details you need can be within BI 4.0x Admin Guide, see link below.

BI 4.0 w/ SP8

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir4/en/xi4sp8_bip_admin_en.pdf

BI 4.1 w/ SP2

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/sbo41/en/sbo41sp2_bip_admin_en.pdf

Regards,

Ajay

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

I have already checked the deatils  in admin guide.

I want some information on specfic server.Let say connection server where i have to install .On primary or webi server or crystal server.

This detail is not there.

Regards,

Amit

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Amit,

There are many factors to need to look at when Split / Size your servers, such:

- What tools are you using?

- How many max # of concurrent users will use each tool?

- What is the typical size and workflow of these reports?

- How many users will be report consumers ?

- How many users will be Ad-Hoc / Edit these report via BO LanchPad?

For example connection servers is something you will need configure on ALL servers because the CMS, Audit and reporting databases all need ODBC connection.  You can also create Servers Groups and assign Users/Groups to these Servers Groups.  You need understand you deployment environment as well what all the server services provide.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Ajay

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Thanks for update. About split and sizing is already done. And based on that we have to setup the distributed environment.

I just want to confirm about the  services for particular webi server.

BOX 2 : This will be dedicated for BO core services. In the core services do I need to install database drivers or will install database drivers on BOX 2 and BOX 3 only.

Like Box 3: Webi servers only. This server will be dedicated for webi reporting only. So i just want to confirm which services are required for running webi reports.

Like Box 4: This will be dedicated for Crystal ,Design studio and Explorer.

One more doubt I have about FRS server.FRS I will keep in the  BOX 2  only or do I need to select FRS servers for webi and crystal box also both will communicate with  BOX 2 FRS services only.

Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

In BO we have three major tiers.

1. Web Application tier (Tomcat😞 Web Application tier is the tier that hosts server side components to handle user requests from Client tier and pass to Intelligence tier of underlying system for processing.
  2. Intelligence tier (BO services) is heart of Business Objects Enterprise system. It handles user requests, navigates them to appropriate server, maintain security information, audit information and stores report instances. BOE intelligence layer is composed of Central Management Server (CMS), File Repository Servers and Event Server.
  3. Processing tier ( BO services) interacts directly with database and generates reports. Processing layer is composed of  Job Servers,  Web Intelligence processing servers, Crystal processing servers, Dashboard servers.Here we need to have the All the database drivers.
amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

One small doubt about FRS(Input/Output server).We have three physical boxes.

Box 1:Intelligence tier

Box 2: Processing tier (Webi server)

Box 3 : Processing tier (Crystal+Explorer+Design Studio)

In this scenario I am going to add FRS server on BOX 1 only. In this case if will not add FRS server on Box 2 and 3 then 2 & 3 will communicate with Box 1 FRS or do i need to install FRS for each physical box.

Process tier will be clustered with Box 1 CMS.

Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Processing tiers will be communicated with the Intelligence tier.

You need to have FRS in the Box1. BOX 2 and 3 will be communicated accordingly with Box1

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Amit,

You will need the database drivers where ever the connection server will run to source corporate data.  For the FRS you need to install on LAN / SAN / NAS and then connect via network  ( \\SERVERS\FRS ), from all the boxes with the cluster.

You will also need a Domain Service Account that will need to use to start the SIA on all the boxes.

Regards,

Ajay

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for information.

Do we need to install CMS on all physical boxes (Clustered) or i will keep CMS on single BOX and install webi & crystal on other boxes with pointing to CMS on different server.

Which approach is recommended?

Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

CMS needs to be installed Intelligence tier  servers. No need to have it in processing tier.

Install CMS only in Box 1:Intelligence tier