Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud Applications

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

There is already running standard on-premise Fiori application, implemented with Fiori Elements, Smart Controls and RAP.

Can the UI part of the application be deployed on SCP, to be adapted and modified there, consuming existing on-premise services over Cloud Connector? A guideline and live example would be appreciated.

david_kunz2
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

HI srdjan.boskovic ,
This is not a question about CAP, can you adjust the tags (to UI5/Fiori Elements/RAP).
Thanks and best regards,
David

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

My assumption was that extension of standard Fiori apps can be built with SAP Cloud SDK, and eventually CAP. Cloud applications consuming ABAP backend data have nothing to do with CAP, correct?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Srdjan,

I've created a sample application calling an S/4HANA (but could also be a SAP ERP OData Service) using CAP but also RAP. Check out this GitHub repositories.

Best regards
Gregor

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thank you Gregor, this really helps. Do you know any guidelines how to adapt existing Fiori app and run the adapted app from SCP ?

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Should the same Fiori App work in SAP CP as well as on Premise? Then I would suggest to develop the App in BAS and use the HTML5 Application Repository for the runtime. With a small build pipeline you can deploy the same app to a on Premise system. Only requirement is that the path to the service is the same in Cloud an onPrem.

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The standard app is running on premise. The adapted/extended app should run in the cloud, connecting to the same ABAP backend system.

Some of existing backend ODATA services can be reused, some modified and couple of new added.

david_kunz2
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Srdjan,

Now I understand a bit more. What should work is that you create an app with CAP and delegate all requests to the ABAP backend service. But you would need to add _all_ UI annotations yourself.

Best regards,
David

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi David.

but is it really inevitable to (re)create the app and annotations with CAP ? The Fiori Elements app is already running with on-premise ABAP ODATA services and annotations are already there.

These ABAP ODATA services can be via SAP Cloud Connector exposed on CF. Would it be possible to deploy only Fiori Elements (frontend part) on CF and serve that frontend by CF SCC/ODATA, instead of ABAP backend ODATA?

I am just asking, not quite sure how to do that and if it could work. How to expose ABAP ODATA services is clear. I try to figure out if and how on-premise FE frontend could be deployed on CF and "re-routed" to ABAP ODATA exposed on CF, via SCC? Would that be somehow possible?

Thanks,

Srdjan

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Srdjan,

if you don't need to make any adjustments to the OData logic you can do what I've suggested before. Setup an MTA project with an approuter and HTML5 repository. Include the on Premise Apps in the HTML5 repository and use the connectivity and destination service to connect via the SAP Cloud Connector to the on Premise system. Check out my example application HTML5UserAPIforCF for reference.

Best regards
Gregor

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

P.S.: With the reverse proxy that is provided by the approuter you can in principle also provide access to the SAPUI5 apps from your backend.

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Odata adjustment is needed, as well the UI. Per input from CAP and SCP Cloud SDK experts, cloud extension of existing on-prem Fiori Elements app, with new (adjusted) Odata service and specialized UI requires:

To extend a Fiori UI (and the OData service for that UI), we need a mix of (1) SAP Cloud SDK, to consume OData endpoints, (2) custom logic to extend the OData endpoint, and (3) CAP to provide the new extended OData endpoint.

I am not sure if CAP really needed here. Odata could be adapted in on-prem backend and exposed via approuter reverse proxy, jut like other Odata services. Using CAP, I could take the backend Odata as it is and adjust to what new UI needs, correct? The backend Odata adaptation + approuter reverse proxy look simpler to me.

gregorw
Active Contributor

Can't provide better input without knowing more about the needed adjustments. I would suggest you give the backend OData adaptation + approuter reverse proxy a try.