cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification needed on some DW terms:

Former Member
0 Kudos

When asked on an interview, the following questions, what exactly is expected. (I will appreciate if you can include some examples in your explanations):

1. Have you been involved in data modeling?

2. What design experience do you have in BW?

3. What is entailed in data warehouse model? Is it conceptual data model, logical dat model and physical data model? If so, what actually is each of these models?

4. …also, what is “data analysis”

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not all inclusive, but in simple words:

1. Have you been involved in data modeling?

• Data Modeling includes creating structures for storing data in BW (like InfoObject, InfoCube and ODS) and structures that provide information to BW reports (like MultiProvider), and objects required to support the data flow (InfoSource, transfer structure etc)

2. What design experience do you have in BW?

• Designing data models, Bex queries, web templates, security models, analysis processes etc.

3. What is entailed in data warehouse model? Is it conceptual data model, logical dat model and physical data model? If so, what actually is each of these models?

• Studying business entities and their relationships, assessing the KPI's to be measured and converting into BW structures and objects.

4. …also, what is “data analysis”

• Analyzing raw transactional info to convert it into knowledge useful for making or basing business decisions.

Hope this helps...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

With respect to SAP BW (in my opinion) -

1. Data Modeling would generally be considered the determining what InfoProviders you, how to populate them, dimension design, etc. This also might be considered the back-end. Some might look at creating extractors as part of data modeling, but don't think I would.

2. Seems like the interviewer wants to know if you have designed and created ODS and InfoCubes and maybe if you have created transfer and update rules.

3. You can google "conceptual logical physical DB design" and you'll get lots of hits for papers and presentations that go into this in varying details. From a BW perpective, you don't get particularly heavily in the physical design because SAP takes care of much of it for you, although you could consider determinations about number of InfoProviders and their design to be a component of physical design. Certainly things like partitioning and creating indices would be a piece of it.

4. Data analysis - to me could be two differnt things depending on context - could be the analysis of the data that you are considering bringing into BW, to understand what it is, how it will be used, relationships between data elements, etc. - or they might mean the analysis that is performed on the data after it is loaded into the BW - the query end of things - the "Business Intelligence" or "analytics" everyone seems to talk about these days.

Hope iot helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's for university? It seems very didactical as interview.

What's the scope of your question? Your hiring?

Former Member
0 Kudos

..actually on the job except interview ...i.e. there is this constant questioning which I need to clear on my mind. I tried help.sap but I wanted to hear it in plain language.

Thanks.