cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Char restriction in Bex Query Designer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Can anyone explain what is the use of the Characteristic Restriction Area in in the BEx Query designer

If i set 0CALYEAR =2008 in the Char Restriction and in the column definition i set the one of the column to display data from year 2009. Will it work ?

Please advice

Thank you

BR

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Pravender
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are two type of characterstic restrcitions in the query. Global and local.

If you are createing a restrcited key figure or selection and restricting calday then it will be restricted to that particular key figure (and show 2008 data) and in the columns it will show you other years data (i.e. 2009 data).

But if you are using a global fiter in the filter tab of query designer, then it will be applicable to the whole query.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Char restriction is the global filter which restricts the query output and hence in your case it will not display such data.

-Vikram

Former Member
0 Kudos

one more point for this

characteristic restriction cannot be changed when u execute the report.

but if u give the same restriction in default value ,..u can change in report level

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

No it won't.

That area of characteristic restrictions behaves like a global filter, so if you set it to see only 2008 year data, this will be the only data available for using or further restrictions under the columns/rows area.

Diogo.