We have just changed our SLD from XI development to XI production system. We followed note 720717.
1) We changed the RFC connections in sm59 and the corresponding programs in Visual Admin (JCO RFC service).
2) We changed SLAPICUST to point to the new SLD host and post.
4) SLD Data Supplier service in Visual Admin.
5) Exchange Profile.
It seems that everything works fine. However, in SLDCHECK, although it connects to the new SLD and gets all data from there, even when old SLD is down, in section where it says the connection parameters to open the Web browser window, it displays the old SLD's connection parameters (host and port) and tries to open a Web browser that points to the old SLD. But, no error message is displayed in SLDCHECK, even when old SLD is down.
The only strange thing is that tries to open a Web browser to the old SLD. And when old SLD is down it just displays an error in the Web browser, that it cannot be opened now. In SLDCHECK there is no error.