cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to cube on which templates exist

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wanted to know if there are any pitfalls I need to watch out for when changing the transactional cube on which the templates are built upon. Obviously, I shouldn't remove any characteristics and key figures that are being used in the templates. Has anyone tried this before? Please let me know.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

I'm not sure what you mean by "templates". It's not a problem to add characteristics or key figures to a transactional InfoCube. The planning application will continue to work as before. Obviously, if the new fields are filled with data, your planning application will need to be adapted.

Regards

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are a lot of complaints about the performance of the reports on the BPS transactional cubes in our system. I am remodeling the cubes as the earlier developer did a poor job on the data modeling. I have made a list of characteristics that are being used directly or indirectly in the templates/planning functions. I am deleting the un-necessary characteristics and key figures from the transactional cube. Though the characterisitcs/KeyFigures that are being deleted are not used in any of the planning levels, I am not sure whether changing a cube would de-activate the planning areas/levels/templates etc. If anyone could post their inputs/comments, that would be great. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sameer,

Deletion of characteristics/key figures which are not used in any planning level should not impact any of the existing packages and planning fuunctions.

During our development phase, we constantly modify the cube. In cases where the characteristic/key figure has been used in a planning level, we have no option but to modify the planning level, package, layouts and functions.

The other area of impact could be any query which uses those key figures and characteristics. Watch out for those.

Hope this helps.

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

when you make any addittions or deletions to the infocube on which layouts are defined, possibility is that the layouts might be required to change accordingly.

sometimes manual planning layout needs to be re-designed cos it would give out an error message " Planning environment changed". Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies! Last month itself I have made the required changes and all the templates are working fine. I had a test template which I have created with deleted characteristics and key figures and it errored out with the "expected" message. One can easily modify such templates and they work fine after you save the changes.

Answers (0)