cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CDS view vs ABAP Open SQL performance

Former Member

Is CDS view increases the performance compares to OPEN ABAP SQL? If so how?

Is Select * statement on CDS view degrading the performance or it yield same performance as Select * in normal ABAP Open SQL?

Please let know

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anversha_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Regarding CDS view with SQL functions vs ABAP Open SQL performance -- My observation is code push down through CDS will improve the performance. Please refer my blog. How ever from AS 7.5 onwards there will not be any major difference as it varies based on the business scenarios

https://blogs.sap.com/2017/10/26/how-fast-is-abap-core-data-servicecds/

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

"Is CDS view increases the performance compares to OPEN ABAP SQL?"

No.

"Is Select * statement on CDS view degrading the performance or it yield same performance as Select * in normal ABAP Open SQL?"

This question makes no sense. There is no abnormal vs. normal Open SQL.

kyo_choi2
Participant

It will definitely increase the performance with added codes moved down to CDS Views and it definitely reduces the network traffic. From my past project experiences, in certain instances, it increased over 1000% from regular reports; it wasn't compared with the native SQL.

horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Of course, moving from old fashioned Open SQL to improved data models involving ABAP CDS can improve performance. But code push down is also possilble with modern ABAP SQL features (expressions, joins, subqueries, ...).

From a technical perspective, a simple CDS view is not better in performance compared to the respective ABAP SQL statement. Both generate the same SLECT statements on DB-level in the end.