cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot update request in Data Target

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have been facing issues with a process chain. The load step is failing with the error message "Cannot update Request *** in the data target". Here the data target is an DSO. The PC failed for two of its runs in a day, however other runs were successfull. Tried repeating the step but was in vain. The data has not even arrived in the PSA and there is a failed data packet with the same error. While investigating, found a Short dump with an message " Size of value is more than the size of column". On verifying the data in extractor, I wasnt able to find any such value on ECC side.

Any suggestions on this ?

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Pratik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Th fact that it has not even come to PSA, means there is a problem in your extractor. Please run your DS in RSA3 in D mode. Try to identify the Column in your PSA failed request and cross check with RSA3.

Cross check your table space issue in BW.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumant,

But the PC failed just for two runs only and that also for 2 dp's. After that it has run successfully in its 5 runs.

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Still not clear. You said in your post that it has not even come to PSA correctly. Otherwise, rerun the chain.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The PC runs every 2 hours. So what I said was that it failed twice in a day with the same issue but after that it has been running successfully. I hope you got my point now.

Thanks!!

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ohh. I got it now. As your problem is resolved, you may close the thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

But still any pointers on what might be the reason behind this issue ?

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My pointer could be due to truncation problem at the database level. i mean the value of the column has come more than the actual length of the value defined technically. So it might have failed due to that. later truncation would have happened properly and accepted the values. You may cross check all the fields of your datasource in RSA1-->Datasources--> Check whether Internal  or external lenght has been selected. This might be the most possible reason.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

The fileds in the datasource have length defined as internal. Can you please let me know the difference between the two ?

Thanks!!

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think now the thread is being dragged now. I have clearly told the most possible reasons for your initial post and subsequent doubts. External means the lenght which was defined in Datasource in source system and Internal means the length which is defined in your infoobject in BW system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If your doubts are cleared, you can close the thread..

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After taking all inputs, you made it as "Assumed Answered". I regret now why I have spent my valuable time on this thread. A good lesson for me..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just because I haven't got a solution till now. Am already verifying the input provided by you guys and once I get a clear picture and if I find a correct solution then I will surely mark that one as the answer. Thanks for giving your time and I really appreciate it. But since am still in the middle of the issue, I havent marked it as answered. I hope you understand my point of view too. Sorry, if you felt bad. No such intentions.

Thanks!!

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's ok..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for a late response on this. Wasn't active since long. However, the solution stated by you was correct. Issue was with a field in data source. We have corrected it and it has worked.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

hi all,

As i gone through ,what i could understood is..

there may be some objects in datasource who is having a definite length,but value is not coming within

that length.

for example...object X having int1 data type..

now it wont take value more that 255 as its has length specified...

thanks.

Rohit

former_member182196
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Share with us error screenshot we will give you correct ans......

Regards,

SM

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pratik,

Before getting this error, have you/team performed any manual deletion of requests form PSA or DSO level? is your flow have delta capability?  are you using standard data source?

Seems like some requests will be deleted at psa or dso level. so thats next load unable to continue. due to the deletion of old request , dso dtp unable to pull the data form source or dso request may be deleted without activation.

please let us know above details.

Thanks

MGrob
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Do manage on the DSO and check if it contains red requests which you need to remove before it can further update the DSO. Then check you PSA and remove the red request and try again.

If you use delta be carful not to destroy the delta otherwise you need to reinit the whole process.

hope that helps

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

I have checked the DSO and there are no requests in red in the DSO. Yes its a delta thats the big concern before taking any step.

MGrob
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It already looks like your delta is broken. If a request is missing in your dso the requests above can't get activated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you said, there is short dump. You need to analyze it more. Look for the statement that is giving the dump. Generally, it will be highlighted/marked with ">>>>" symbol on the dump screen.

It seems that you are getting a value more than what is allowed for a particular field.

Regards..

Shambhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Shambhu. A statement says so. But am not able to identify that column as it is specified nowhere. Any suggestions on how to find that column ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Possible for you to put the screen shot of the error here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No. I wont be able to put the screenshot. However the error just says "Cannot update the Reqst XXXX in the data target".