cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we force WebI to use jre version 1.6.43 ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade to JDK 1.7 due to the security vulnerability issue.

We are currently using Business Objects XI R3.1 SP5 and planning for moving to SP6 shortly. But as the testing of SP6 would take some time, i would like to know in the mean time, will it be possible to force the BO application to use JRE 1.6.43 when both JRE 1.6.43 and JRE 1.7 is placed in the same server.

Java 1.7 will be pushed to every PC in the organization thereby breaking everyone's ability to use Web Intelligence Java panel. Is there a way to configure Web Intelligence to ignore Java 1.7 and use the Java 1.6.43 that is installed?

I am quite new to the administrative part of Business objects. So it would be great if any of you can provide me with the step by step procedure if there is any solution for the issue.

We use

Windows Server 2003 R2,

Business objects XI 3.1 SP5,

Tomcat 5.5,

IE 8

The common suggestion provided is to select the required Java version in

Control panel--> select Java --> Click Java tab .

But the above suggestion raises one more question which is

If we have multiple applications in the same machine which uses different version of Java. For instance if i have Application A which uses jre 1.7 and Application B for which i want to use jre 1.6.43, will the approach suggested work well in that scenario or will both Application A and B use the same jre version selected in the control panel Java option.

Thanks in Advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

you can set a specific java version an a .XML File on the Tomcat Server.

Check SAP Note - 1498897

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for pointing me to the SAP note related to the issue. I need few clarification with respect to the SAP note referred. In scenario, if the client machine has JRE 1.6.0.27 installed and if i modify the applet parameters to use jre 1.5.0.9, then will Webintelligence still force the user to use 1.5.0.9 instead of the latest version in his machine (which is 1.6.0.27).

When i tested the above scenario, it still used the latest version jre 1.6.0.27 in the machine and did not force me to install jre 1.5.0.9. Please find below the steps that i followed as per the note.

1. Copied the setup file for jre 1.5.0.9 into the path D:\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\AnalyticalReporting\download\win32
  2. Took the backup of the web.xml file in the path D:\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\AnalyticalReporting\WEB-INF
  3. Updated the Applets runtime parameters

<context-param>
                    <param-name>webi.javaPluginMimeType</param-name>
                    <param-value>application/x-java-applet;version=1.5</param-value>
                    <description></description>

</context-param>
                   <context-param>
                   <param-name>webi.javaPluginVersion</param-name>
                   <param-value>5,0,9,0</param-value>
                   </context-param>

<context-param>
                   <param-name>webi.javaPluginPath</param-name>
                   <param-value>/download/win32/jre-1_5_0_09-windows-i586-p-s.exe</param-value>
                   </context-param>

<context-param>
                   <param-name>webi.WebSetupPath</param-name>
                   <param-value>/download/win32/WebSetup.exe</param-value>
                   </context-param>

4. Restarted Apache Tomcat 5.5.20 in the CCM

Once the service came to running state, tried creating new web intelligence document and the browser still picked the version jre 1.6.0.27 in the machine and did not try to force me to install jre 1.5.0.9.

Can you please point me in the right direction. Is there something that i am missing here. What i wanted for my scenario is to use lower version of jre when higher version is also available in the machine.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos

Hi,

well...as is understand your requirement it is good that it not forced you to install 1.5.0.9 because you want to use 1.6.0.27 or, as mentioned in the initial post, 1.6.0.43.

So what you should enter in the parameter "webi.javaPluginVersion" is:

<param-value>6,0,27,0</param-value>

or if you whant to use 1.6.0.43:

<param-value>6,0,43,0</param-value>

When than a user starts the WebI Report Panel WebI pickes up 1.6.0.43 instead of 1.7.x.x

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Sebastian for the help. It is working fine.

Answers (0)