cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install on a clustered DB?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to install EP6 SP2 and it fails when attempting to install the Database Schemas on my clustered SQL Database. I can't find ANYTHING ANYWHERE on how to fix this. HELP! Anyone else done this?!

The installation keeps failing due to the fact that it's looking for a local install of SQL Server, but we have a clustered SQL install - how can I tell SapInst to use the cluster, rather than a local SQL Server??

Thanks!

-Eric

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

MartyMcCormick
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Gabor-

Although it's not supported, you can get EP6 SP2 to work with clustered SQL server 2000 on a virtual MSCS cluster. (We have it working here on Win2003)

The instructions were posted somewhere on this discussion board before, but here they are again:

1) Install SQL as a default local instance with the DB files on a clustered drive. Make sure to choose custom install and select Binary 850 collation.

2) Select a clustered drive for the SQL data files.

3) Install SQL SP3

4) Install SQL hotfix xxxx

5) Run instcoll.exe on the local instance to upgrade to 850 BIN2

6) Run SAPinst, choose ?Database? and allow the setup to create the databases PCD and WCM

7) Detach the databases (Right click on the DB in SQL Enterprise Manger and Detach)

😎 Upgrade the local SQL instance to a clustered instance (Note: when running sql setup again, make sure there is no other default instance running on the other node or you will not have the upgrade option). You will have to give the SQL install an instance name at this point.

9) Re-install SQL SP3

10) Re-install hotfix xxx

11) Re-run instcoll.exe (Note: You will have to do this while SQL services are running. Instcoll will prompt you to stop them using the SQL Services Manager, follow the instructions Instcoll displays).

12) Attach the PCD and WCM databases.

13) Run SAPInst on your portal servers and point the install at the clustered SQL virtual server name / instance.

General comments:

There are 3 main considerations when installing EP6 with a clustered SQL backend:

1) You can only run SAPinst ? Database (creates PCD and WCM databases, SAPPCD and SAPWCM users) against a local non-named instance of SQL (SAPinst used the local SQL pipe to connect)

2) Instcoll.exe will NOT run against a SQL installation that has the two EP6 databases (PCD/WCM) attached, hence the need to detach them before running setup / instcoll.

3) Be very careful with collations. After the upgrade to cluster operation the collation will not be the same. If you attach the PCD and WCM databases to a SQL server running the wrong collation YOU WILL CORRUP THE DATABASES!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marty,

We'll look into this. Thanks!

Gabor

SamuliKaski
Active Participant
0 Kudos

A easier way is to edit keyb.xml after the first failed SAPinst attempt so that references to the local hostname are replaced by the Virtual SQL Server Cluster name. I just had this issue and I was able to setup the schema just fine with this trick. Don't know if there are any side effects to this trick so be warned.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The EP6SP2 release restrictions note (668548) used to state that clusted DB's are not supported. That limitation is no longer listed on the note. You might try going through the note versions and seeing when that rewstriction was resolved.

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot.

Gabor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric,

Have you found a solution?

Gabor