Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SAP Community Downtime Scheduled for This Weekend

Can't create variable

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

In our Bex query designer, I am not able to create any variables. There are some existing variables there in the query but I just can't seem to modify them either (we took over the project from another company). Does it have anything to do with query locking?

I have S_ALL och reporting profiles so I should have enough authorization for this.

Any help is appreciated.

regards,

Yoon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In previous versions of SAP BW (2.0) you could not make variables in the querie builder but in the AWB. Is this the case?

Bye the way what is your exact problem? If you are in the left column of the query designer, click at characterisitc until you see the variable and values, and right mouse on characterisitc value variable click shows: create new variable. How far can you get?

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

I found the transaction. It's RSZV which is no longer supported in newer versions of BW. Anyway, thanks for your help.

regards,

Yoon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martien,

We use APO 3.1/BW2.1C and I think you're probably right. The Bex we have on the other hand is 3.5. So when right-clicking on a characteristic as you mentioned, I get only 'Refresh' and I don't have the New Variable option at all in the query designer.

I can't find anything in RSA1 that could be used for creating/maintaining variable. You have any idea?

Some old SAP documents mention about creating variable via Business Explorer ® Maintain Variables. But I can't find this link at all, neither in AWB nor in Bex.

regards,

Yoon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gupta,

I do have S_RS_COMP (I can't find any S_RS_COMP1 in my system). In fact, I even expanded the activitity to this profile to "Create or generate, Execute, Enter, Include, Assign" but it didn't help.

I can modify the query such as adding restricted KF, modifying formula etc and save the query but I just can't see to add/modify any variables. I did notice that when I opening the query in change mode, a message 'lock against external changes' was briefly displayed at the bottom of the bex. Is variable some kind of global setting?

regards,

Yoon

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

To make changes in the system that is a Development system. Object Changeability does not make any impact. This setting is only valid in Closed system like BW Production.

1) You must have S_RS_COMP & S_RS_COMP1 access.

2) If you have that, then you may get an error message if Query Element (Variable) is assigned to a Dev class (Package).

3) You must have Open Bex Transport for this Development Class.

4) You can find Development class on Transport Tab of the RSA1.

If this is the error then, during the change it must pop-up as Transport Error and make Query in Display mode.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your answer.

The query element is already changeble in the object changeability. In fact, in my own system (which is completely seperate from this client), I can change/create variable even when I have everything not changeable in the object changeability.

The thing is - when I did a right click on the Characteristics Value Variables under a characteristic, I got only Refresh as the option. In my own system, I have both New Variable and Refresh. So the New Variable option seems to be not avaialable at all in our client's system. Any ideas why?

regards,

Yoon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It's preferrable to have

SAP_ALL and

SAP_NEW profiles.

Best regards,

Eugene

tom_francis2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would say it is not preferable to have SAP ALL. I have a system running where even end users can create and change variables in production.

Probably the setting you need to change is in

RSA1 --> transport connection --> Object changeability. Change in here query elements to everything changeable.

This should do it. If not, can you send the exact error message?

kr,

Tom