cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can EP launch desktop applications?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can EP have links that, when clicked, start up a Windows desktop application (fat client, or terminal emulator, for example)? In other words, something that does not run in a web browser? I assume that these must run in separate windows from EP, which is fine, but would still like to be able to pass credentials to those apps. We can develop something if necessary, but would prefer it if EP natively supported launching desktop applications.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess you could try LaunchInIE (http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/q/launchinie.asp).

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello David,

I think I have the same problem as you. Did you already find information concerning that topic?

I want to integrate a relatively small desktop application in our portal prototype (We´re just beginning to develop a portal). At the moment I just created an URL-iView with the path to my local disk (C:Documnets and Settings.....), but that is not really a solution, it doesn´t even start in the portal itself, but in its "actual" window. Wouldn´t it be possible to install that apllication only on a host machine and call that application through the portal, so it needn´t be installed on every single portal client?

If anyone else can help with this, I would be grateful, if you did!

Thanks, Holger

Former Member
0 Kudos

+Wouldn´t it be possible to install that apllication only on a host machine and call that application through the portal, so it needn´t be installed on every single portal client? +

You could use CITRIX to do that (www.citrix.com). That way you set up a server and install, say, MS Word there. Then you install the CITRIX iView in the portal. After that you can start MS Word using the portal without having it installed on your local PC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that would be possible to launch Citrix and minimize the desktop issues, BUT we are trying to deal with our customers "as they are" rather than telling them that they have to move all their desktop apps to a Citrix server. We need to be able to launch BOTH Citrix-hosted apps and desktop apps. Some third-party applications may be specifically designed to run from the desktops and not be Citrix-friendly.

BTW, when you mention "the Citrix iView" is that something out of the box or something that we would need to develop? I'm not that familiar with everything available yet, being new to EP.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Citrix iView is pretty much out of the box, you can get it at http://www.citrix.com/cdn. I had some trouble deploying because some libraries had to be added to the classpath, but it works just fine once you got it deployed.

Other than CITRIX, I've never heard of an out of the box solution to run desktop applications inside the portal...maybe someone else has?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Think about doing this differently. Do you want to launch the desktop client or just open a document file associated with the client. Probably want the second.

If so the portal should be able to do it as it does it from inside KMC (ie you store a document and when you click on it it opens it in the correct application).

Does that help/

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, but it is more than just showing documents such as Word or Powerpoints, though those are worthwhile. Rather, there are some client-server or desktop APPLICATIONS, such as those built with VB, that query and update databases, for example, that the user needs to launch from the portal. In those cases, the entire application needs to be launched: there are no "documents" that can be stored in KM. So that's why we need to launch desktop apps, not just view documents.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Gesche. I will check out LaunchInIE, though I was hoping to avoid depending on ActiveX controls (to keep a "thin" client). I guess your answer implies that EP does not natively support launching desktop apps.