cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW SEM-BPS API functions from a Web Dynpro project in Netweaver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Rather than using the standard Web Interface Builder in BW SEM-BPS (3.1B), we have to use SAP Netweaver to create a Web Dynpro project which accesses all the API_SEMBPS functions, such as GETDATA, SETDATA, FUNCTION_EXECUTE etc. Has anyone done this before? If so, do you have any examples, hints?

Regards,

Linda Lee

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

The reason we are doing this is because the strategy of our company is to deliver all SAP projects with a web frontend. This includes R/3, CRM, BW and SEM. SAP has recommended Web Dynpro for this so we are using it for all our development now. Since BW SEM-BPS generates BSPs which will be outdated shortly, we are not using the standard Web Interface Builder. I hope this helps. Therefore, are there any ideas?

Regards,

Lidna Lee

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Linda,

unless you want to build a custom user interface that integrates all the components that you mentioned, I would strongly recommend against using Web Dynpro as a user interface for BPS.

SAP fully supports the BPS web interface and the BSP applications. I don't know where you got the impression, but those technologies will absolutely NOT be outdated shortly.

In order to achive your company's goal to deliver all SAP applications with a web frontend, does not take any custom development. Especially BW and SEM come with a web frontend out of the box using BEx web reporting and BPS web interfaces. Both can easily be brought together in an Enterprise Portal for example.

If you want to discuss this is more detail, please contact me via email (marc.bernard at sap.com)

Regards,

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG, US BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Linda,

let me add some more remarks on this topic from the BW-BPS development perspective:

I completely agree with Marc's statement.

Thechnically it is possible to build a planning application UI on top of the BW-BPS API functions and we have some customers that are live with such a solution. However, I would recommend this only in 2 cases

1. You need to create a tightly integrated application with BPS being only one part of several other components (including transactional UI, e.g. running against a CRM system).

2. You prefer a UI technology that is not provided by SAP (e.g. Java Swing based).

In all other cases, I would say that one should stick to the Web Interface created with Web interface Builder, mainly for cost reasons. If this tool does not fulfill all your needs there are several possibilities to enhance and extend the generated web interfaces by custom specific coding (see also several How-To guides in this area; e.g. "How to integrate a BEx Web Template into a BPS Web interface").

Another possibility is to loosly couple several web UIs with the help of the portal.

To my knowledge, it is not true that BSP web technology will be obsolete shortly.

In general, I would always prefer a tool supported, model driven approach compared to a heavy custom coding. This is also in sync with SAPs general strategy to a more pattern based approach to create UIs.

Regards,

Tobias Hagen

Dev. Manager BW-BPS

SAP NetWeaver BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marc,

Very interesting solution, to use the WEB power of BSP.In an EP6 platform, where I've created a URL based iview, with FQN to the SEM_BSC, worked fine till I set the SSO to authenticate with SEM as a reference R3 system, mapped the users, but the iview still challanges after they logon to the portal.

Installation has EP6 SP2, SEM 3.5, WAS6.2, standalone portal.

I appriciate any solution, or documentation in this regard.

Thank you,

Attar, AA

Also, I'm trying to pass sap-user, sap-password parameters to the ULR, but could not figure out the how pass the SSO uid and pwd to these SEM parameters

as in http://FQN.com:8000/sap/bc/bsp/sap/sem_bsc?sap-user=mapped-user&sap-password=mapped-password

Reference: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sem40bw/helpdata/en/1b/3131375fc9342ae10000009b38f839/frameset.htm

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc and Tobias,

Thank you for your views on this topic. We have decided to use Web Dynpro as the front end for our BPS project based on the following reasons:

- The Web Interface builder could not meet all our requirements for our UI

- It is the company's strategic direction for all future SAP projects (including CRM, R/3)

So you may be hearing from me on the forum a fair bit in the future.

Regards,

Linda Lee

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Linda,

we are very interested in what UI requirements could not be fulfilled. If you have the time, please contact me via email marc.bernard at sap.com. I will forward it to Tobias.

Thanks,

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG, US BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Linda,

Were the answers helpful? Please assign contributor points if they were. It a way to say "thanks". I gave you a start, but you can change them.

See: <u>/people/mark.finnern/blog/2004/08/10/spread-the-love for directions.

Click on the yellow Star icon per reply. You can give:

1 - 10 pts (Which marks the question as answered)

2 - 6 pts (Very helpful)

Lots of 2 pts (Helpful)

Thanks!

Joan (and Mark Finnern)

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Linda,

that is a rather unusual procedure. I'm not aware of anyone attempting this since the Web Interface in BPS is quite powerful and flexible already and requires no programming at all.

So I'm curious why you want to do it in Web Dynpro. Could you please explain what limitation in the Web Interface justify a custom development?

Kind regards,

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG, US BI