cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW on/4 HANA - Runtime vs. Enterprise License

Hello,

1) How can I find out if a customer has runtime or enterprise license installed? Unfortunately view M_LICENSES only shows attributes like product_limit/permanent/enforced...

2) If it's just runtime license: is it allowed to create CalculationViews based on Table Functions (of course for reporting purpose only)?

Thanks

mellinda_pereira
Explorer
0 Kudos

Are there any limitations on number of users based on per license ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor

Answer to your first question -

We usually go to License Key application (SAP Business Suite license key)to check and confirm count and type of our SAP application. Same link is used to request or change the count. Portal is the best place to take confirmation on count and type and if multiple license are requested for your system. Then check SLICENSE to make sure all listed entires are added in your BW4 or not.

Beside you can check the license details from HANA studio (user with License Admin access)l-

SELECT * FROM M_LICENSE if information from studio is not enough then

From BW4HANA TCode - SLICENSE. NW/ GUI side shows additional license related details.

Thanks,

Debjit

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor

Let me first caveat all of this... Get the sales team involved. They know the customer and the software and contractual side of things. They will be the definitive answer.

I don't know that you can get that from HANA. The best advice is to check with the customers sales team to verify which HANA license is tied to that particular BW or BW4 SID.

Additionally, the SUR, Software Usage Rights, will outline what you can and cannot do with the various runtime licenses. Again, I would check with the account team as the SUR is tied to the purchase and is the binding terms.

For reference, the most current SUR can be found in the SAP Trust Center. That one covers just on-premise deployments, so make sure that you are referring to the right area. You will want the "SAP Software Use Rights" documents for your language. Likely the most important stuff is in Section 11, 11.4 or 11.5.

There is language that allows you to create database objects, but they can only be consumed via the "Application".

The sales team can properly guide you and the customer on what is or is not allowed. Each customer situation is different with possibly different contracts and legal bindings.

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion and not a statement by SAP.

Thank you Mark,

not all customers are aware of license related details right away and it's often very time-consuming to find out, even with sales team involved.

As a consultant I work on different customer's BW/HANA systems. It would be great if there was a simple query to quickly know whether BW runtime or enterprise is in place, just to be "safe".

If there is no such way, then it's no wonder that sometimes customers create data models that are not allowed according to license. After all there is no physical feature-limitation or security check in place that would prevent such actions...

0 Kudos

Thanks but unfortunately both TCode SLICENSE as well as view M_LICENSE only show attributes like product_limit / permanent / enforced. But there is no clear indication whether it's runtime or enterprise license. Or am I missing something?

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As mentioned the first choice should be license key portal. It shows you additional details, that may be missing from HANA or NW side. If you do not have access to check your current client, then this SAP Business Suite license key (page 22 - 23) will give you some idea how portal displays individual requested licenses.

Just FYI - you can use "add a comment" for replies 🙂

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi bernhard.sauerteig,

Did you find above information helpful?
0 Kudos

As a regular consultant I am not allowed to access License Key Application, so unfortunately this does not help. I am still looking for a simple way to determine which BW/HANA license is in place. Thanks

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Checking with inhouse BASIS team is the easiest option. They usually have access to license portal and provide a snapshot for the current setup. Unless they are not friendly 🙂

I am afraid, these are all available options. Contacting AE is the preferred option, when you want to get down to nitty gritty of terms and conditions.

Jörg_Brandeis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bernhard,

i can't give you the Answer to your first question, but i guess, that this information is written in a file folder in the purchasing department.

To the second question: As i don't know the details of your customers licensing details, I can only describe my understanding of the general partial runtime license:

AFAIK you are allowed to build CalcViews on top of objects, that were created by the BW System. This means, you can create Z-tables with SE11 or Table Functions with the AMDP Framework and put them in a CalcView.

But you are not allowed to create objects in the HANA Repository directly. But this is not a real restriction, because with SE11, CDS and AMDP you can create all objects you need, right?

Regards,
Jörg

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion and not a statement by SAP.

0 Kudos

Thank you Jörg,

sure an AMDP / CDS could be used to be safe. However, i have seen customers that go for the direct - HANA created - solution even with just runtime license, because they did not know better. One customer claimed that it's ok to create Calculation Views of type Scripting (even though in background a HANA repository procedure/table/synonym is generated automatically). Also what if such a Scripting Calculation View would be migrated using the wizard, then a Calculation View with Table Function would be created automatically by the system.

In my opinion it does not matter if those objects are system or user generated. But it would be great to have 100% confirmation if such constructs are allowed.

glenleslie
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

BW and BW4 allow you generate calc views for specific BW objects. You can then build your own views on them. This is allowed in Runtime for BW4, some runtimes for BW on HANA and HANA Full Use. This is in the SUR language Mark Mumy linked above.

BW4 functionality (there is equivalent capability on BW 7.5 on HANA as well) https://help.sap.com/viewer/107a6e8a38b74ede94c833ca3b7b6f51/2.0.7/en-US/6633d851345c4770bd4e523701b...

AMDP is OK but you probably want to land results in a BW4 object and then generate the calc views against that persisted object to stay within the rules. Typically you don't want to be monkeying around in the SAPSID Schema... the View Generation in BWoH/BW4 allows the administrator to define another schema for the calc view generation and the generation tool builds as much of the equivalent database-level security as it can (not all concepts translate directly).

Generating SAP HANA Views