cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Process Modelling

Former Member
0 Kudos

what are the best Business Process Modelling techniques? what are the most widely used? and could someone give me web links on resources for the same.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

[Business Process Modeling|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-processmodeling]

[Business Process Management|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/8e/116642a3423654e10000000a155106/content.htm]

Assign Points if helpful.

Thanks and Regards,

Naveen Dasari.

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun

I'm curious how your quest for an affective process modelling approach has progressed in the past year. Hopefully you found some of the replies helpful. I've only just joined the "Ecosphere". Hence my reply may be far to late for your enquiry.

Since you posted your question SAP Press published a comprehensive book [Business Process Management: The SAP Roadmap|http://www.sap-press.com/product.cfm?account=&product=H2977]

Ann Rosenberg (SAP) one of the authors of this book presented at a process management conference in London last year just before the book was published. You may find that presentation helpful. [Link|http://www.nimbuspartners.com/sites/default/files/presentations/SAP-RoadmapToBPM/player.html]. If I can distill what she said into 2 points.

(1) If your objective with process mapping is that end users will understand the content, and you will therefore improve the alignment between IT and the business - keep it very simple. A simple common language is what's required. Regretably neither ARIS-EPC, nor BPMN are typically successful in achieving such simplicity. (The evidence for this is witnessed on virtually every SAP project where end user training efforts do not employ any of the process content created in technical modelling tools. Content has to be recreated at huge expense in a format which end users will actually read and understand.)

(2) If your objective is process automation (SOA type development) then in the SAP arena BPM for Netweaver which employs BPMN as the notation format is the tool of choice. However, don't expect that to be used or understood by business folk. Also bear in mind that only 4% of your processes are likely to be good candidates for SOA, Correspondingly 96% of what most customers require can be (and should be) kept very simple indeed.

How to do this - is explained to some degree [here|https://ecohub.sdn.sap.com/irj/ecohub/solutions/control2007].

I've worked in the SAP change management and training sphere for 10 years (4 years with SAP-UK) and supported major SAP customers including Shell, BBC, and many more. Only recently have I found a solution to this challenge which really works. I was so convinced of the approch, I joined the company. [Nimbus|https://ecohub.sdn.sap.com/irj/ecohub/solutions/control2007]. Kind regards, Nigel Warren

Former Member
0 Kudos

I recomment ARIS as the best modelling tool.

I will abbreviate my last project in Utilities Industry (Customer LIGHT) :

The project had a life span of 8 months (including stabilization), started on November 22nd, 2007 and went live on July 1st, 2008. The big challenge of this project was to bring the concept of Shared Services to the users with the methodology and approach of BPM:

 Define and design the finance and accounting processes, applying best practice.

 Provide a technical solution to support and manage all operations of the financial and accounting processes

 Provide centralization of information and management of cash and bank transactions, accounts payable and accounts receivable and other long term financial operations.

 Reengineer the processes and practice of company accounting activities.

 Provide a SAP solution for the financial consolidation

 Introduce the concept of BPM to the Group Light (mapping, detailing, implementing and controlling).

 Prepare the client for the introduction of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) with SAP Netweaver, considering the concept of automation of processes.

It was the methodological approach of Business Process Management (BPM) that made the difference on this project.

In the design phase, the process owner was given u2018best practiceu2019 of the market and the use of Aris for SAP Netweaver was hereby fundamental to provide a detailed and objective solution of the application of best practice. Because of Aris, BluePrint was fast and technical advanced. The u201CToBeu201D processes were modeled in Aris with direct integration and synchronization with Solution Manager.

The ASAP methodology was used from the beginning until the end together with the BPM approach, bringing the SAP team, Light users and managers great confidence of an efficient approach of each of the phases of the project.

The project was delivered with the following scenarios:

- Management of Accounts Payable

- Management of Accounts Receivable

- Management of Budget and Budget preparation (FM).

- Cash Flow Management (LP/CM).

- Bank reconciliation.

- Cash Position and Liquidity management (short term).

- Accounting Management.

- Treasury Management (TRM / TM).

- Financial Consolidation (SEM-BCS).

- Integration XI / ALE.

Methodology :

Using the concept of BPM, the ASAP methodology, already used in other projects, was subject to some changes:

During Phase 1 (preparation) of the project, we had, besides the normal ASAP activities, as main objective to prepare the roadmap of the implementation, using the tool u201CRoadmap Composeru201D, loading it into Solution Manager and creating the u201CReference Modelu201D of the solution to be built.

The main "Inputs" of the Reference Model generated are described below:

-- Portfolio of Processes.

-- Know-How of advisers.

-- Solution Composer.

-- BPR of Solution Manager.

-- Commercial Proposal

-- Material provided by LIGHT.

The Reference Model was used as basis for the activities of the BluePrint phase.

Starting from the validated Reference Model, it was possible to map the Processes (BPR) into Solution Manager and Aris and start the BluePrint in the u201Cacceleratedu201D form, only validating the proposed u201CToBeu201D:

With the processes modeled and validated, we concluded the design phase, by uploading the CI templates into Solution Manager. The CI templates represent the documented design, signed off by all Process Owners of LIGHT (The Customer)

Benefits of the Project for LIGHT (IT / Strategic):

-- Solution designed for effective use of the concept of Shared Services.

-- Standardization of processes within the Group LIGHT.

-- Ease of integrating business processes in events of acquisition of new businesses (Plug & Play).

-- Involvement of the "Process Owners" / Business Areas of LIGHT, in the processes

-- Guidance on processes (BPM).

-- Improving Business Processes in the Finance Area (Review).

-- Governance.

-- Environment technologically prepared to apply the concept of SOA (the Services Oriented Architecture).

-- BPO (Business Process Outsourcing).

-- SOX Compliancy.

Benefits of the Project for SAP

o Management of the project using the Processes.

o Reducing the time of project with approximately 2 months.

o Lift the profitability of the project by approximately 60%

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

There is no "best" Business Process Modelling techniques. As always: It dependends...

What do you need to consider?

• Who are the stakeholder of the process models?

• In which Business Process Modelling technique do my business analysts have experience?

• What is the purpose of the business process models (e.g. workflow models are more formal than for example business process model for discussing and analyzing with end users)

• What techniques does my tool support?

• What current techniques exist in my company?

What is a Business Process Modelling technique? You have to consider the conceptual aspect (what can I express with it) and many representational aspects (how can I illustrate the process models).

Common techniques for modelling business processes are the ARIS EPC modelling language (http://www.ids-scheer.com) or the Business Process Modelling notation (for a online web editor see http://bpt.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/Oryx/BPMN). For both modelling languages there are also modelling conventions (best practice how you create and maintain models).

Best regards,

Joern

P.S.: If this answer is helpful for you please assign some points and do not hesitate to ask further questions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

Please see the below mentioned link ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_process_modeling

Regards,

Archit.

0 Kudos

Hello,

maybe one of you knows or can point me to some answers regarding an estimated time frame to capture a customer's business processes for a given industry (estimates based on experience, for example). The industry is Insurance, for which there does not seem to be standard business process content.

Thank you

best regards

Felipe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Felipe,

This is a very difficult questions and depends on the industry, the company, the environment, what you want to do with the captured process (as-is) models (level of detail), employees, top management comittment, budget and so on.

Maybe you should look for reference process models in the insurance industry. Reference models are "best practice" models (to-be) how processes should look like. They usually can be configured by parameters according to the company's individual needs. From these models you may be able to derive how long it approximately take to gather your own companies processes.

Best regards,

Joern

Former Member
0 Kudos

.....continuing from my previous answer

Thanks to the the Netweaver attributes which you can build for your objects,they get mapped back into solution manager when you run the synchronization from ARIS to Solman.

That way your process in Solman gets completed.Now you have the ability to carry your project further in to the R/3 box from Solman for configuration as well as showcase your detailed process modelling in ARIS.

Hope this helps!

Mukhraj

L&T Infotech

Mumbai

bcrao
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What about SAP- BPM beta release.

How this is different from ARIS(adv and dis. adv)

Chidambaram

HaraldNehring
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Chidambaram,

I assume you're referring to SAP NetWeaver BPM, whose principal difference from a technical perspective is the aim to automatically execute the processes you're modeling. This then effects the type of processes you'll typically look at in NetWeaver BPM, e.g. concrete task flows, data entry etc. On the other hand ARIS has no intention to automatically execute all modelled processes, so there's much more focus on e.g. cost and organizational aspects and models tend to be more high-level.

So in an advanced environment you'll end up using both tools, I guess.

Best, Harald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

I recommend ARIS business architect as the best modelling tool.

Reason:

Its very elucidated graphical format,Rich and diverse business objects in its repository for building process modelling,ease to use and its integration with Solution manager makes it a very appropriate tool for your purpose.

The usual methodology adapted is that you build your business blueprint in Solution manager and import it into ARIS.The business data gets mapped on different templates in ARIS as scenario,process and process steps.Alongwith also come transaction codes as well as documentations.

Since all the objects which travel from Solution manager are SAP objects,you pick and choose non SAP objects from ARIS repository and arrange them in an intelligent sequence with the SAP objects in a typical flow which best describes your business process.

T

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your business is rather small and the persons involved limited you can use a simple technique I often use.

In powerpoint you create either rows or collumns representing the departments, than you use the usual process basic shapes to show the individual process and link them with arrows. Off course there are no fancy links with SAP or automatic update possibilities, but who cares in an SME with limited financial resources and a few people per department.

This follows generaly a modelling technique developed by IMG and the univerisity of St. Gallen, but I believe their technique has evolved since I last used it about 8 years ago.

Regards

mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This reply is simple but to the point for small business.

Regards

Biraj