cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOXI 3.1 SP4 - Unable to open a Socket in CMS and Designer/DesktopIntelligence log in errors

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just installed BusinessObjects XI3.1 SP3.  Used the suggested Port = 6400 for CMS and 6410 for SIA.

Started receiving this error - "Error: Unable to open a socket to talk to CMS <servername:6400> (FWM 01005) null"  I tried several suggestions from the SAP notes.  One worked ... to stop the SIA service and change CMS to unused port so I picked 6420.  It worked.  So I installed SP4.  Followed those steps.  Started receiving the socket error again using 6420. 

After the SP4 success install.  I tried logging into Designer and DesktopIntelligence then started receiving a login error (it appears something is defaulted to look at the old port - 6400)

Error received trying to log into CMC -  The next screenshot is the error received trying to log into Designer after changing Port to 6420 (that did work) but looks like it's still looking for the old port 6400.  How can I fix these issues?  Help!!  Thank you!  It's greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What Service controls the Central Management Console.  I thought it was the Central Management Server but it still gave me the login screen.

Thank you.

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The CMC is a web application, there is not a specific service.

When you authenticate or navigate through CMC the CMS will be queried.

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gillian,

besides the explicit port, 6400, there is a request port that is automatically picked from those available.

When there are firewalls between client and server you need to configure also the request port with a fixed value, and open this bidirectionally in the firewall.

The services that need an assigned request port are:

- CMS

- Input FRS

- Output FRS

in some cases also the MDAS server needs a request port

thanks

Simone

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried the following steps to put the CMS back to the original port - 6400

1. Stop the Server Intelligence Agent (SIA) from Central Configuration Manager (CCM).
  2. Right Click > Go to Properties > Startup tab.
  3. Click on the Central Management server > Properties tab.
  4. Change the port number to some other number which is not in use by any other application. Click OK.
  5. Apply > OK.
  6. Start the SIA.

However, when I try to log into the CMC it still defaults to 6420 but all the services show 6400 except for the SIA service which shows the 6410.  What can I do to fix this?  I cannot log into our CMC.

Thank you.

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gillian,

when logging with client tools check that the port is explicitly declared i.e.   hostname:port

otherwise it tries to connect to the default 6400

I suggest to have a look  at the administrator's guide under the section

"Working with firewalls" because it explains very well how it works

if you still have problems please let us know

thanks    

Simone