cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO Server Out of space

Former Member
0 Kudos

My BO server has ran out of space(98% used). the server just has boot drive.

I see a lot of log files in the logging directory.

I want to know , is it okay if I remove the old Log file from the bobje/logging directory?

Please let me know what all files can be deleted( and from which directories) for creating space.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

as jack told you

first stop the services of the business objects

then you can go to

C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 11.5\Logging

and delete all the log files

then restart the services

good luck

Amr

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Amr and John.

Its actually a Unix Server.

So I will first have to stopservers on the box.

Then goto homedirectory/BO/bobje/logging and rm *.log

and then start servers?

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes BO User

good luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

As Amr suggested, stopping all the servers would be ideal, and required probably on Windows. On Unix, you can just delete all the log files without stopping the servers. I specialize in Unix installs and I have safely deleted all the files in the logging directory without stopping any services. Once deleted they will automatically get recreated. If you are in a real dilemma to free up additional disk space you can in Unix you can delete the backup folders in the patches directory. Each backup directory is usually several gigs in sized. Be very careful in making this decision. Once deleted you will not be able to use the uninstall patch script to remove a patch that you have deleted the backup directory. If you can I would suggest tarring up the directory first and move it to another location with more space.

If you go in to the <installdir>/patch directory, you will notice seperate folders for every patch you have applied. These directories include all the older files that were backup during the install of the patch. They can be safely deleted, but remember, you will no longer be able to unistall that patch unless you backup the directory first to another location.

--Jack

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Jack/Amr.

I removed all the log files. Restarted the servers( as had shut them doen already).

Everything is working fine.

I had included a trace option in the ccm config file and thus a lot of log files were getting created. Removed the option from cms server line in the config file.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am facing the same problem. But to my surprise there is no 'TRACE' option specified in CMS Launch line in CCM.config file in Solaris 10 BOE.

I don't know how it is generating logs? If I want to disable the option of generating logs what should I do?

Thanks,

Sandip.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sandip,

Which logs are being generated and where ?

-trace option maybe enabled for other servers in ccm.config or you might have classic BO tracing enabled, using bo_trace.ini file.

Can you post here results of env command on your server ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

Thanks for reply.

These are the log files which get created in logging directory.

$ ls -ltr

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14236 Sep 4 12:12 wca_20080902_064855_11229.

log

-rwxr-xr-x 1 darkd01 dark 187 Sep 4 12:15 boe_cmsd_20080829_131646_2

3636.log

These are the environment variables.

$ env

_=/usr/bin/env

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

HZ=100

LC_MONETARY=en_US.ISO8859-1

LC_TIME=en_US.ISO8859-1

PATH=/oracle/product/client_10.2/bin:/usr/bin:

LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

ORACLE_BASE=/oracle

BO_BASE=/devl/darkbo

LOGNAME=darkd01

MAIL=/var/mail/darkd01

__pdos_trackpid__=19453

__pdos_program__=login

LC_MESSAGES=C

__pdos_deny_auth__=0

LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO8859-1

__pdos_date__=1220541345

__pdos_mergeaud_save__=49206

__pdos_authaud_save__=0

SHELL=/bin/ksh

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java1.5.0_12

WAS_LOGS=/opt/IBM/was61/AppServer/profiles/wsp_ark01/logs/wss_ark01

BO_HOME=/devl/darkbo/bobje/bobje

HOME=/export/home/darkd01

LC_COLLATE=en_US.ISO8859-1

LC_NUMERIC=en_US.ISO8859-1

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/product/client_10.2/lib32

TERM=vt100

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/product/client_10.2

PWD=/devl/darkbo/bobje/bobje

TZ=US/Eastern

$

Also I did

$ cat ccm.config

And I searched for 'trace' keyword in output but nothing is there.

Thanks,

Sandip.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

wca* logs are created by CMC application and the boe_cmsd* - by CMS.

Even if trace is not enabled normal cms operations will create log files.

You can create a cron job that will clear your /logging directory weekly.

I noticed another interesting thing.

Looks like your Application server is running under root account, while BOE is running under darkd01.

This may present some problems, we strongly recomend using same account for running Application server and BOE.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

Thanks a lot for reply.

Then how should I turn ON/OFF tracing ? Shall I append -trace and -notrace keywords to ccm.config file respectively for enabling and disabling logs.

What sort of problems you foresee in using root account for Application server and normal account for BO? I am in development environment now, your suggestion will be helpfull for prod environment

Thanks,

Sandip.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tracing is turned ON by adding -trace to particular server command line, but basic logs are also created when something happens.

I don't think that can be turned off.

BOE is using Mainwin registry, our license allows only one user (the one who installed it) to access it.

When Appl;ication server is running under different account and certain CR related functionality is used in CMC or Infoview (like import CR report in) - mainwin registry can get corrupted and you may receive errors when importing CR reports into the system....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

Thanks for reply.

Thanks for suggestion, I will make sure that in PROD env we use the same account to install application server. I have one more doubt regarding installation of BO XIR2 SP4 on Solaris 10 with WebSphere 6.1.0.7, WebSphere is acting as Web server as well as app server.

Can I use WebSphere 6.1.0.7 as app server and SunOne as web server on Solaris 10?

Thanks,

Sandip.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you can use SunOne as web server and Webpshere as App server, provided you can configure SunOne and WAS to talk to each other.

There is no BO related configuration here, you only deploy our war files to WAS, sunOne will just re-direct everything to WAS...

Or you can use stand alone WAS fro everything.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

Thanks.

As you said, I am using standalone WAS in my DEV environment. But can you please throw some light on what will act as web server in case of standalone WAS?

I think in standalone WAS, IBM HTTP server which is a component of WebSphere 6.1.0.7 application server will act as web server.

Is it correct?Also Please share your thoughts on pros-cons of using standalone WAS and WAS with SunOne web server.

Thanks,

Sandip.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Standalone WAS, without IHS can server http and jsp requests, it doesn't need web server.

As far as BOE is concerned there are no pros or cons in using sun one or any other web server in front of WAS.

With XI3 and up, we have ability to separate static content from dynamic, so we can take advantage of web server and app server combinations. With XIr2 it makes no difference.

Unless you're using SSL and then it beneficial to have web server as it will take the brunt of the SSL conversion....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi denis,

I have a issue that I have to create windows script to delete the old log files generated by bo servers automatically.

For this I have to develop a script and have to schedule it with windows task scheduler.

please suggest me how to create that script.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can safely remove all the old log files. After deletion, new ones will automatically be recreated.

--Jack