Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO migration from BO XI R2 SP1 to BI 4.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are planning to migrate from BO XI R2 SP1 to 4.1

I have few questions:

1) As SAP insists, migration to higher version should be from SP2 or higher.

But in market place, I did not find BO Xi r2 SP2 & SP3. So do I need to raise SAP incident for the same?

2) Some experience people, also say that direct migration from XI r2 SP2 to 4.1 is not advisable though SAP insists.

We need to migrate to 3.1 and then to 4.1

So it will be 2 step migration.

i.e. xi r2 SP1 --------------> xi r2 SP2--------------> xi r3.1 -------------> 4.1

3) Please guide if someone have other way to tackle this.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

You are correct in your understanding that you need to update to XI Release 2 Support Pack 2 before you update to either BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3, or SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform BI 4.x.

You can download XI Release 2 Support Pack 2 from the 'archive' https://support.sap.com/software/patches/archive/a-z-index.html

You'll see it listed under: SBOP BI platform (former SBOP Enterprise)- SBOP BI PLATFORM (ENTERPRISE)- BOBJ ENTERPRISE XI R2

It is now called 'XI r2 A'.

Once you've performed that update on the 'server', you can then directly update to the SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform BI 4.x. I.e. for you can go directly from 'XIr2A' to 'BI 4.2 Support Pack 2'.

There is no need to go via 'BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3'. Please share with me anything that incorrectly refers to this and I will seek to get that corrected. Direct message is fine too to avoid sharing personal details or incident numbers etc.

I hope this helps, and I'm sure your users will be a lot happier on BI4.

Regards

Matthew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

Can you please help me to identify which one is SP2?

I have attached snap of the available options in SMP.

I can see SP4 and SP6, but we can not directly migrate to SP4, we need SP2 or SP3. Please correct me if I am wrong.

0 Kudos

Hi,

looks a little bit like a one-way street here. For SP6 you need SP4. For SP4 you need SP2...and you are not able to download SP2 anymore...this is how it looks.

I would recommend you open an Incident with the SAP Support, maybe they can activate your S-User for the download or provide you with a Link

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I raised an incident with SAP. SAP has provided me XI R2 SP4 full build installer.

But I found below info in SP4 installation prerequisites:

The BusinessObjects XI Release 2 Service Pack 4 package requires

BusinessObjects Enterprise XI Release 2 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Service

Pack 3 (SP3) for installation. Please ensure that an installation of SP2 or

SP3 is in place before installing Service Pack 4.

So whether this means I need to install SP4 on top of SP2?

If yes, I can't take risk to do it on current production environment.

So what I can do is I can install SP2 on separate machine and then SP4 on top of that.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for all the replies.

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I see your problem.

There is NO need to install XI release 2 Support Pack 4 in order to update to SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform 4.x.

You only need to install XI release 2 Support Pack 2a.

The response to the incident you raised with SAP Product Support was sadly not as accurate as it should had been. I believe only the XI r2 Support Pack 4 'patch' was provided and NOT the full build. By definition the 'full build' requires no previous software installation. Can you please go back to our Product Support and ask for the SAP BusinessObjects Enterprirse XI r2 Support Pack 2a 'full installation' please?

I've scanned our download site, and I can not see this software (even as an SAP employee) so something isn't right with the access to the software. It will be something we can put right. I'm sorry you are struggling here.

Regards, Matthew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please check this note?

Also, one more point.

We downloaded the full build from the path mentioned by SAP and tried to install the same on new machine.(windows 7 32 bit as well as 64 bit)

While installation, options to install MySQL database and tomcat server were selected; but, those are not getting installed.

Message was edited by: Dheerendra Sawant

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

"oh dear". I wasn't aware we had stopped providing XIr2 SP2a.

Then you will have to do what the SAP KBA mentioned. Install the latest 'full build' of XIr2 (such as XI r2 SP6) and then use the import wizard to move your content from XIr2sp1 to XIr2sp6.

But I wonder!  What would happen if you use the 'Upgrade Management Tool' of SAP BO BI 4.2 and point it at your XIr2sp1 server. I wonder if it complains or not. There may be a version check, or there may not be. Technically I can't quite remember why we needed XIr2 sp2. I've dug around my old documents too and I can't see 'why' this was needed, just that it was a requirement.

You see, you can update from XI to XI3 directly, but from XIr2 to XI3, you need XIr2sp2.

If you where on XI, then you'd be best to go directly to XI3, then update to BI4.2.

Regards, Matthew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mathew,

Thanks for the detailed responses, but you are confusing me a bit. Let me ask you this question:

If one were running:

BO Version:  11.5.11.1470. (I believe this is equivalent to SP5).

Crystal Reports: 11.0.0.1282.

And want to upgrade to 4.x

What is the process here? Is it to just run the UMT in 4.2? or does one still need to  upgrade to XI 3.1 and create a BIAR file as Ravi hinted below?

my thought was XI R2 SP5 --> run UMT of 4.2 and we are good to go?

Can you please validate?

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

UMT in 4.2 will not connect to an XI r2 system.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the response Dell... But are you certain of this?

SAP KDB Note: 2183716 states:

Once the content is migrated to the XIR2 SP6 system, then the migration tools such as the Upgrade Management Tool in BI 4.1 would be able to migrate your content and bring you to a supported state.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have done @30 migrations of various sorts in the last two years, including several from XI R2 systems.  I have not been able to get the UMT to connect to a version earlier than 3.1.  However, it's entirely possible that my clients weren't on the "last" version of XI R2 to start with.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello:

Thank you, Dell. My thought is (if the SAP note is accurate), all the following would NOT work with the UMT in 4.x:

11.5.0.313 --> RTM

11.5.3.417 --> SP1

11.5.7.608 --> MHF1

11.5.7.682 --> CHF13

11.5.7.723 --> CHF14

11.5.7.770 --> CHF15

11.5.7.811 --> CHF16

11.5.7.852 --> CHF17

11.5.7.1048 --> CHF20

It would help a lot if you could validate (from your experiences) if any of your clients were on:

1. XI R2 SP Level > SP 2

2. XI R2 SP Level > SP 5.

This way, we can be certain of the accuracy of the KDB note.

Regards

Uzair Rashid

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

Version 11.5.11.1470 is XI Release 2 SP 5.

So you can migrate your content from this version directly to the latest version of BI4.x (BI4.2 SP2 currently).

You simply run the Upgrade Management Tool, of BI4.2 SP2, and set the source as your XI release 2 SP5 machine.

You'll only have to use BIAR files if you're on a non-Windows machine for running Upgrade Management Tool.

Regards, Matthew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Matthew:

Thank you for the detailed information, it is exactly what I had expected.

May be redundant, and I'm guessing the answer to the following question is "yes". But, does your statement hold true, on an existing instance of BI 4.x (not a fresh install)? Or would we have to use BIAR files in that scenario?

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello, thanks for your comments.

Q does your statement hold true, on an existing instance of BI 4.x (not a fresh install)?

A. Yes. Doesn't matter if this is a fresh install or otherwise. UMT of BI4.x connects to XI release 2 (SP2 or greater). No requirement for BIAR files, but you can use them if you want to.

Regards, Matthew

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member206070
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dheerendra,

You are right. Migration flow like this.( BO XI R2 SP1 to 4.1)

Regards,

Ravi.