cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI Web Services parallel processing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any setting for Web Intelligence Processing server or, possibly CMS, to allow parallel processing of BI Web Services data requests when they are called all at the same time from one Xcelsius Dashboard using single user login?

Using Fiddler (http traffic monitoring tool) I can see that all HTTP requests are active but responses coming back one by one.

The only way I can achieve parallel processing is when each Xcelsius Dashboard QaaWS (BI Web Service) data connection uses a separate login.

My environments:

BOE XI 3.1 FP3.7, BI Platform 4.0 SP2 Patch 11,

Tomcat 5.5, Tomcat 6,

Xcelsius 2008 SP5, Dashboard 2011

BI Web Services are created from Web Intelligence document(s) based on Relational Universe

Internet Explorer 8

Windows Server 2008

Thanks,

Vlad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have submitted "an idea" on SAP Community Network Idea Place to improve BI Web Services perfromance by allowing parallel processing on BI Platform as discussed in this thread. Here is the link:

https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/ideas/9669

Please participate in voting to get this enhancement implemented.

Thank you,

Vlad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vlad,

IMHO what you are experiencing is most probably induced by a design limitation of HTTP 1.1 which limits the number of concurrent HTTP requests to be handled simultaneously to at most two. This design limitation might result in Fiddler showing results being submitted one after another.

Hope that helps,

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Simultaneous HTTP connections limit can be changed, at least on Windows for IE as per below note:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402

Even after HTTP connections limit is increased, BI Platform still does not process BI Web Services in parallel.

After I increase a limit for simultaneous HTTP connections, Fiddler shows that all my Xcelsius Dashboard BI Web Services data connections have sent HTTP requests to BI Platform Server (HTTP connections are shown active in Fiddler). The problem is that responses to simultaneously opened HTTP connections are coming back sequentially.

Above behaviour changes when I assign each data connection a separate BI Platform login using u201Cloginu201D and u201Cpasswordu201D Input Values fields in Data Manager. I can see that HTTP responses are coming back at the same time now and Xcelsius Dashboard refresh time improves.

Note that this test should be done with compiled swf dashboard run in IE. Above HTTP connections limit change does not affect Xcelsius Designer u201CPreviewu201D mode.

Regards,

Vlad

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vlad is right - that's exactly how product works and using unique logon's is a workaround.

the only way to change this is thru enhancement request on Idea place.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for this hint, I was not aware of that kind of IE setting.

My understand of how WebI processing server is handling user commands is quite consistent with what you are watching with Fiddler.

In a nutshell, WebI BI Services are just designed to be a Web Service call interface to some WebI commands, with most of those changing the state of the underlying WebI report (either by applying a report filter, a drill or even refreshing the document). I believe this is why you see these web service request run one after another when they are sent from the same user session, while they are executed concurrently when sent from different session (as web service requests are served from a single WebI document instance for each single user session).

Submitting an idea for improvement is therefore the right way to move forward, even though I am not sure this will easily be implemented (since this is closely related to the way WebI processing server is behaving).

Hope that helps,

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Thank you for a detailed explanation.

In case it helps to come up with another workaround, here are some more info about Web Services data connections sequential processing:

1. I created independent copies of original WebI document and used a separate copy for each data connection via separate Web Service call (not just separate methods within the same Web Service). Still same sequential processing on BI Platform side.

2. On the other hand, LiveOffice Xcelsius Dashboard data connections work in parallel mode with the same single WebI document and same login. I replaced Web Services with LiveOffice data connections and can see parallel responses from BI Platfrom. The problem is that I am losing WebI filters feature replacing Web Services with LiveOffice which is not suitable in my case.

I am going to submit a proposal on Idea Place, but still hoping for already existing workaround to achieve parallel processing of Web Services Dashboard data connections using a single user login.

Thank you,

Vlad

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do not think this is possible at this time, but it sounds like a good idea for posting into the IDEA place :

You can now submit Enhancements directly to our developers at http://ideas.sap.com

For more details, see SAP Note 1515837 - How To: Enhancement Request Process - "Idea Place"