cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI 7.0 BEX: Is there a way to put multiple tabs (queires) in a workbook.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Q1: I have three different queries that the users want on different tabs in the same workbook. Is there a way to do that?

Q2: I cannot make the 'Selection' pop up box to open up whenever I open the workbook. I have checked all the basic things I need to check.

Thanks

A fellow developer sent me this answer:

You can always have multiple queries in one workbook. All you need to do is to go at each and every tab and insert the query. Save your workbook on the server.

Once you will refresh your workbook, system will prompt you with the necessary variable window for all 3 queries at a time.

If you are using BI7.0, you might not see the refreshed value, if "refresh at open" is not set for the workbook. You have to click on the button, which will open a variable window and then you can refresh the data in your workbook.

I hope this would help !!

Danny

My follow up question:

Danny, thanks for the answer. I was not able to find the steps to insert the query in each tab. If possible can you (or anyone else reading this) list the steps in some if not a lot of detail. Thanks again.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Q2: Have you set the tick for "Refresh Workbook on Open" in workbook settings?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BobbySi,

there is a discussion in this forum that might help you:

/thread/346645 [original link is broken]

In 7.0 it is not that easy anymore. Best is to use Add drilldown according to (characteristic) in new worksheets feature. Important is that you restrict the characteristic before to few possible results. Otherwise the report will fail as for each possible result a new sheet will be produced.

Btw, if you want to use Filter and Navigation button on each sheet you will need to rename the new sheets to "Table..." as VBA is checking for name of the sheet.

Hope this helps

Br

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the steps Chandran, I will try to follow them as soon as our system is back up from maintainenance shutdown. Those steps were for 7.0 right?

Stefan, you are right, its not easy to do this in 7.0. I actually tried what you suggested and I came across two problems

1. I lost the functionality of the Chart, Filter and the third button on the sheet.

2. I was able to create another sheet for second query (even though the buttons were not functioning) but it did not work for the third query. It just sat there all night doing nothing so I had to give up.

Thanks

ChandranGanesan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Bobby,

Here is the steps for you,

1. Execute a BEx Query and Save that as a Workbook (If you already have a BEx Workbook skip this step)

2. Goto next Sheet of the workbook and place the cursor where you want to insert the new query.

3. Goto BEx toolbar, Click Tools Icon Choose Insert Query

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for more queries

5. Save your workbook -> In the Bex Toolbar -> Save -> Save Existing or New workbook

Condition for the above to work

All the queries should share the common variables.

Thanks Chandran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandran: I tried the steps you had suggested but I do not get the 'Insert Query' option from Tools menu. I only get 'Create New Query' which doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BobbySi,

I faced the same problem of inserting a query in a workbook and it is no longer simple in 7.0 . Luckily in my case, I had only the Analysis grid and a Text item in our output. So what I did was execute the query, then go to the next sheet, drag and drop the analysis grid and text items, assign dataproviders and save it as a workbook on the server.

But the problem comes if you have too many items in your workbook. Then creating a separate sheet in the workbook is a little time consuming.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kiren: Thanks for the info. How did you create the 'Chart', 'filter' and 'information' buttons on your worksheet?

Former Member
0 Kudos

BobbySi,

We did not have the Chart, Filter and Information buttons in the work. But in your case since you need them, what you can do is, right click on button and choose copy. This is an excel feature. Then paste in the cell you want in the second sheet.

Not quite sure if this works but still you can try..