cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BeX Web App - Variable Screen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there a way to customize the variable screen ? I can't seem to find any docs on this. I can control the color settings through the .css but cannot change the caption or the size of the window. The title always says "Variables for ...." I would like to change that and make the window a standard size as well.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry no customizing; changes can only be done via modification.

Heike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where is documentation on modifying the Variable Screen?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

modifications are done by customers on their own risk. SAP doesn't provide documentation for this. If you really want to go this way, debugging the coding is the best way of finding the right place.

Heike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Following are the things we want to do to the variable screen. Are these possible and if so, how do we go about them?

- Display the variable screen on the same page as the web template with its web items, i.e. table and chart. Add a button below the variable screen (Submit) which will change the display of the table and chart as the user changes the values in the variable screen and submits them. This will keep the user from having to go back to the web page each time he wants to change the variable screen values.

- If variable screen cannot be displayed on same page, add help text (or help button) for instructions, center the variable screen, add an image to this page, etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Variable screen on same page is technically not possible

For important variables you could build s.th. on your own using the Web API commands PROCESS_VARIABLES

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_bw33/helpdata/en/3e/68a33a6c5b7b63e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

You might want to use the How-To

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sapportals.km.docs/documents/a1-8-4/how to use a dropdown box to set variable values.pdf

Also Variables which can be changed during navigation might be an option, as they then will behave as normal filters.

2) Changing the layout of the variable screen itself is only possible with modification of SAP delivered ABAP code.

Heike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Heike,

Is there any APIs planned for the future releases for doing customization to the variable screens, filter value display etc... lots of clients are asking for these features.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After upgrade from 2.1C to 3.1,it seems the variables created in 2.1C are not visible in the Bex with 3.1.Would greatly appreciate your inputs to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Heike,

Thanks for the examples. Using those examples, I think I have been able to successfully implement the variable screen on the same page as the web template.

I copied the source for the variable screen, which SAP had created using an html form. I pasted that source into the html code of my web template between the <BODY> </BODY> tags.

I then copied the javascript source and pasted that after the <HEAD> tag.

Now when I run the template, the variable screen displays above my table. I can enter values for the variables and then click 'Execute'. The table changes to display data for those values.

Now that the form is in my html code, I am also able to change the caption and add a button for Help which will call a javascript function to display our own defined help.

My questions:

Do you see any potential problems with what I've done so far? The only problem encountered is that sometimes when I'm running several web templates, the browser seems to get confused as to which one to display For instance, I run template1, then template2. I go back to the browser window and re-execute template1 with new variable screen values, and when I click Execute, it sometimes will display a screen from template2. I noticed that when I re-execute template 1, it submits the following URL.

http://..../sap/bw/BEx?SAP-LANGUAGE=E&PAGENO=1&CMD=PROCESS_VARIABLES&REQUEST_NO=0&CMD=PROCESS_VARIAB...

Where can I find information about PAGENO and REQUEST_NO? These might be causing the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Beckie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This approach is not supported by SAP and might result in a big mess. For example VAR_ID and VAR_VALUE_HELP are internal parameter of the variable screen and not released for external usage. Please just use the described Web API commands, as described in online documentation and the mentioned How-To. Definetly you have to make sure to not use hard-coded requestno and pageno. When using the Web API command syntax pageno and requestno will be generated correctly. Those are neccessary by the system to get the correct state.

Heike