Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic ABAP

TMNielsen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

As the normal SAP Developer is still an ordinary ABAP programmer like me, I find it strange that there are no information at all, about basic ABAP.

No articles, no weblogs, no forum --- no nothing!

Best regards

Thomas Madsen Nielsen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP Developer Network focus is on SAP NetWeaver and xApps, as written in the log in page:" SAP is launching a new collaborative community designed to facilitate the transfer of knowledge and information among all of the various technical groups who are working with SAP NetWeaver and SAP xApps?"

Currently we did not reach the criteria to open ABAP area. In case you would like to contribute, please contact us, or submit relevant content directly.

Regards,

E.T.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Etay,

This is an odd attitude to take if we are interested in building interest in the new platform. Isn't it obvious that the main developer pool for Netweaver will be the existing SAP development community? I can assure you that this communty is at the moment still focusing on getting return for investment made over the last few years, not rushing in to Netweaver.

We should attract the members of the SAP community with content that can help them with their current needs, and then teach them (and get them excited) about the new technology once they get here.

You are using the "Field of Dreams" philosophy (build it and they will come) without offering content to the SAP community that already exists and numbers in the tens of thousands worldwide - the ABAP-R/3 community. Further, most Netweaver sales will at least initially go to customers that are extending an initial investment in R/3. Thus, an absolutely necessary and useful area of this site should be one centered around extending existing investment in SAP to the Netweaver stack. To neglect this would be a serious strategic oversight. I would think that this area (ABAP-R/3 -> Netweaver) would be one in which the SDN content team would focus heavily.

Best,

Jeremiah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

First, I agree with your final message, we would like to provide the information that will help ABAP, R/3 developer to become Netweaver experts as well.

Second, I (or better phrase: SDN team) do not take the "Field of Dreams" philosophy (build it and they will come). SAP Developer Network content team does not just sit and write content for you; we facilitate your knowledge and help you to share your knowledge with other community members, as well as learning new things. I do not think that if I will build "they will come. NO, we (you, myself, other members) need to build it together. This should be our place to share and the help our friends. I would like to encourage you to actively help us grow and include more areas and topics. Feel free to send content and to share your idea with me/us.

Thank you,

E.T.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas and Jeremiah for your feedback. I think your observations are correct that we focused to narrowly on xApps and NetWeaver without recognizing the current needs of the SAP developer community who are working primarily with ABAP.

As Etay mentioned, resources are always scarce, so we'd like to make sure that what we do has the most 'bang for the buck' and best serves the needs of the community. What would be the most critical information that you would like to see? I like the idea of opening a discussion forum for ABAP -> NetWeaver but there are some members of the team who are concerned that it may sit empty.

Thanks,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

On the ABAP side, simply adding "ABAP" to the developer areas can't hurt. It's not like there is any lack of info from SAP on the topic! That way, when an ABAPer comes to SDN, they'll have a home base. If you can extend their initial stay to 30 minutes looking around in the ABAP area, you may get them to visit the other areas as well. Look at it as a loss leader if you have to. (Although I wonder why ABAP seems to get a bad rap. Isn't it the language that built SAP? Aren't billions of dollars invested in ABAP programs? Don't all sorts of fortune 500 companies rely on ABAP to run and be profitable? I don't get it.)

On the ABAP -> NetWeaver side, I'm an application developer, so I am necessarily myopic in my point of view. I see lots of material here for technology, but little for applications. Even saw somone turned away (already!) in the EP forum for asking an ESS question. Seems like most of the ABAPers that I run into spend their time mostly supporting or writing applications. Naturally, many of these applications will be moving to Web interfaces. While the interface will move, given the enormous investment in ABAP by our customers, the "guts" of these apps will likely remain in R/3. We can then imagine applications with perhaps an EP front end, XI messaging, and R/3 business logic. I personally know of several of SAP's largest customers doing just this. When this occurs, our customers are in a tight spot. Project teams are made of Net technology experts that refuse to learn ABAP, and ABAPers that don't have the time or inclination to go the other way. The resulting mix isn't pretty. If we could provide a home for both sets to expand their knowledge, we will be able to help the SAP development community.

Why don't you focus on the current "hot" areas of application spread from traditional ABAP-R/3 functionality to these portions of the NetWeaver stack? Find out what the pain points have been and find internal experts that have overcome the integration issues. Lobby them for articles. Have a featured application each month with a weblog and SAP developer host. Seek out more customer "war" stories like Joel Albert's ESS epic. etc. etc. etc. That is the kind of content I like to read.

As far as forums sitting empty, who cares? There are currently exactly 0 posts in the xApps forum. Planning on pulling it?

Regards,

Jeremiah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amen to Jeremiah!!!

We have a decade worth of ABAP written for our SAP implementations and dozens of ABAP developers, while we have exactly 0 lines of NetWeaver Java code and no NetWeaver developers. I am guessing that John Deere is typical of SAP customers in that we have been laying ABAP code for years and are just beginning to look at (when we have time and money, both of which are sparse in this economy) all of the rest of the 'modern' tools that can be found in the SDN like XI, NetWeaver, & Portals. Our BW folks have had some time to play with some of these, but they are still working more with ABAP than anything else.

ABAP is the first thing that I looked for when I registered for the site and I was disappointed not to find any information regarding it. It may not be popular to market it, but it is still SAP's bread & butter, and as a developer it is worth much more to have a forum for discussion for what I do every day than for tools that I may not even have time to look at in the near future.

Cheers

--Kyle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Too true!

Like Kyle, I came here looking for a place to post an ABAP question. I was a bit confused when I did not find a forum dedicated to this topic. At TechEd, the arrival of SDN was promoted as a highly useful tool and a place for SAP Developers (of all types) to find and share information. While it may seem mundane with all the cool new technologies emerging from SAP, ABAP is the mainstay of all the SAP implementations I've ever worked on, and I spend most of my time on support and performance tuning of our ABAP apps. There are other sites out there with ABAP discussion forums. I think if you choose not to provide a place for your visitors to share information on this topic, you will find that the developer community will continue to look elsewhere for their day-to-day questions.

In case you were wondering, I did find an answer to my ABAP question on another forum. ;o)

Kind regards,

Amanda

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ABAP Programmers,

Thanks for your suggestion, we opened today a forum called ABAP Programming and the first question is already answered.

Looking forward to a lively discussion filled with your questions and answers.

I which it was always so easy to fulfill your requests

Best, Mark.

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is the direct link to it: http://tinyurl.com/qbwx (You have to copy and paste)