cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backend Characteristic Values

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, Just curious if anyone has any hard and fast rules as to whether the characteristic values should be numbers or something descriptive? I always thought it was best to go with numeric codes instead a descriptive text code.? I always thought code was better because the system didn't have to figure out what the next SID to be assigned was and that the SID just took on the value of the characteristic when it was a numeric code.

Opinions are appreciated!

Material   Description
0021       Nexgen Hi Capacity IPOD Flash Ram
or
IPODRAM    Nexgen Hi Capacity IPOD Flash Ram

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just FYI,

SID Tables

SID tables play an important role in linking the data warehouse information structures to the subject-oriented InfoCubes and ODS Objects.

To speed up access to InfoCubes and to allow an InfoCube and ODS-Object independent master data layers, each characteristic and attribute is assigned a SID column and their values are encoded into 4-byte integer values.

<b>Note:

The algorithm to determine a SID value works fastest if the characteristic does not exceed the numerical size of nine as in this case the characteristic values will be the SID. No traditional SID table has to be accessed as the characteristic or attribute values correspond 1:1 to their SIDs.</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ken:

It is more of a design perspective. It is always good to see short or medium text next to key values of characteristic master data.

For example take billing block or billing type. It is always good to see what a key value stands for. To get value help for running queries in web or BEx analyser, make sure in the infoobject defintion in the BEx tab, the settings are mainitained.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My view:

1) it does not matter to run the Bex reports on numbers or descriptions as for both star schema uses ultimately numaric keys.

2) But if you are using your own ABAP, i think the numaric keys aqn make the difference.

regards,

hari