cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic upload of roles from BI to portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Which would be the options for creating an automatic upload of roles from BI to portal? Which would be the best option?

Instead of having to do it manually, e.g. system adminstration --> transports --> role upload --> manual load, I want the system to do this in batch.

We maintain the roles in BI abap and then do this uload to the portal (EP 7.0 SP15). I want the portal to update according to BI automatically as new users get new roles etc.

Thankkful for any input!

Regards,

Fredrik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you more interested in the user/role assignment in BI? Is the BI role content static? What is your UME source in the portal?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply!

New reports/users/menu roles are all handled in BI (abap) and then manually uploaded to the EP via role upload. We are looking for the best way to automize this last step, e.g. after the action in BI (for example adding a user to a menu role) a batch job should load the roles/user to EPagain.

All role handling is done in BI (abap). The role content is changing on a weekly basis.

Is there any standard way of doing this, or is abap/java required?

Any better ways of dealing with this?

Regards,

Fredrik

Edited by: fc.sapbi on Apr 14, 2009 1:48 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to understand, are you uploading the BI role structure (menu) or the BI role assignment to the portal? My suggestion is to leave the role structure in BI and only take the user/role assignment to the portal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I'm uploading both the role structure (menu) and the BI role assignment to the portal (whenever new users are added or roles are modified). This way the users get access to the correct reports without any additional setup in the portal.

Why should we not upload (via role upload) the roles from BI? To me, it seems easier to get all done at once (roles + user assignments uploaded from BI)..

What I'm looking for is a way to simlify the administration of users/roles by placing all the action in BI (and then I'd like the portal to automatically get the update via batch).

I assume that there is no standard way of doing this and that a 'push' or 'pull' statement must be coded in order to get the automatic update to portal?

Regards,

Ferdrik

Former Member
0 Kudos

In general I don't normally replicate menu structures from ABAP systems, but as you are also getting reports it might make sense. Unfortunately I don't think this can be automated.

What you could try to automate is the user/role assignment, which is why I asked if this was the main point of the exercise. It seems to me that this is the more dynamic changes to the BI roles.

Because user/role assignments in an ABAP system become user/group assignments in a portal with UME set to ABAP, that was one way I thought you could handle the user/role assignments.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for all you input!

Ok - so do you mean that I can automate the user/role assignment. Could you give an example?

Today we for example add the new user to a role in BI and then do the role upload in portal in order to "replicate". How could I relive myself from that last step (e.g. the role upload)?

Regards,

Fredrik

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is you portal UME source? As mentioned, if it's ABAP, then the work is almost done! If it's LDAP, then you need to look at automating LDAP group creation from ABAP... If it's portal database, then it's more complicated

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

The EP UME source is ABAP.

So, how do I proceed with the automation of the role/user assignments?

Thanks for your support!

Regards,

Fredrik

Former Member
0 Kudos

With source ABAP, all ABAP roles are portal groups. So, just go into the UME admin tool (/useradmin) and assign the portal groups (ie: the ABAP roles) to the portal roles.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, since I use ABAP as the EP UME source, I automatically have the roles created in BI also in the portal, represented as groups and I manually can assign them to portal roles (no role upload needed). So it's still a manual handling, but in another way. Correct?

Example:

I have a new user in BI that I assign a few menu roles (that are already including some BI reports). The roles are already existing in portal as groups and roles. My aim is off course that the new user should be able to access the relevant reports via the portal. As I understand you, no role upload is necessary in this case, since the reports and the groups/roles already exist in the portal. So I don't have to do anything on the portal side. Correct?

Example 2:

I have created a new menu role in BI in which I save a new report (none of them represented in the portal) and assign new users. When creating the role it automatically appears as a group in the portal. Also the correct users are automatically assigned to the new group. In order to get the menu role/report-structure to the report I need to do a role upload, which also generates the new role so no manual assignment of portal group to portal role is necessary in this case. Correct?

Regards,

Fredrik

Edited by: fc.sapbi on Apr 16, 2009 1:32 PM

Edited by: fc.sapbi on Apr 16, 2009 1:34 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

In your examples, in the BI system, assigning user USERA to the BI role BIROLE1 will automatically make portal user USERA a member of portal group BIROLE1. You still need to build/upload the BIROLE1 role to the portal and then assign the BIROLE1 portal role to the BIROLE1 portal group. The upload and portal role/group only needs to be done when the BI role is first created or if the menu changes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks,

In my first example, there were no new roles created. Only a new user assigned to the existing role. This means that the new user will automatically be assigned to the corresponding portal group (that already exist due to earlier role uploads). Correct?

In my second example, a new role were created, which automatically generates a portal group. So I need to do the role upload in order to get the portal role (including the iview generated for the new report). Correct so far?

Is the manual assignment of the portal role to the portal group really necessary in example 2? Isn't the assignment automatically handled during the role upload (I recently did this, and it looked ok without this step)?

Regards,

Fredrik

Edited by: fc.sapbi on Apr 16, 2009 1:50 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as I know, a role upload to the portal will not do the portal role to portal group (ABAP role) assignment. It will assign the users to the portal role but won't do portal role/portal group assignment.

The answers to your example assume that you have done the portal role to portal group assignment once after the first role upload to the portal.

So, in your first example, yes, the portal user will get the portal role.

In the second example, a new BI role or changed BI role needs to be uploaded manually to get the menu structure. You also need to do a once off portal role to portal group assignment the first time the role is uploaded.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok! Thanks alot for all your support!! I appreciate it!

Just on more question:

I assume that I never have to upload the authorization roles (containing restrictions on cube-/report level) to the portal, do I? Only the menu roles are needed in the portal?

//Fredrik

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not a BI security expert, but I believe the cube level access is stored only in BI.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes it is!

Thanks for all your efforts!

Regards,

Fredrik

Former Member
0 Kudos

works fine

Edited by: fc.sapbi on Apr 16, 2009 2:35 PM

Answers (0)