cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asynchronous Collaboration Discussion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can anybody show me the links/pdf for creating asynchronous collboration in the discussion forum.

I am trying to create asynchronous discussion in EP 7.0 SPS 14 Collaboration.Tried in sdn and help, couldn't find the right posts. I am extremely new to this collaboration & km.

Step by step document on creation of this collaboration discussion forum would be really helpful.

Anybody pls guide me in this. Thanks a lot..

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member206159
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check the below help link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/8f/fb5464e3382f4482833a28af8896a3/frameset.htm

Discussion groups are a part of collaboration rooms. These collaboration rooms are created based on collaboration templates.

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have created the rooms using room templates.when i try to enter into the room, getting an error..

Invalid Item ID

/index.xml

The item you are attempting to access does not exist. Check whether the name of the associated repository is correct.

where do i check for this error ?

I have enabled collaboration launch pad..

Is it just to add contacts and invite people ?

how do the member enter into the room ?

Any step by step document on creating room templates and discussion forums pls...

former_member206159
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you are not using the stadard collaboration template for creating the rooms .

If it is custom-made then check the path in the iview of the pages.

check the below pdf links

For configuring the collaboration room

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d0446df3-566c-2b10-a68b-85aa275a...

Creating collaboration template

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/4ee0a790-0201-0010-5ab6-a3803480...

For integrating forum in collaboraiton room

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/402898af-f2f6-2910-1dba-e85c992d...

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have created the room template as per the document link 1 and its validated. But, we're unable to enter into the room directly or through the link sent by email..

The URL link doesn't take me to the Portal home and where i can enter my credentials to get into the room. what is missing here ?

And the first link is only for creating the room templates. what do you mean by the Configuration here ?

Any suggestions or ideas would be really helpful..please help.

former_member206159
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Configuration is nothing but enabling the mail service and also adding the appropriate roles

Do you have all the rolese mentioned below

com.sap.netweaver.coll.Collaboration - this role will give you all the rooms that you are assigned

After creating the room template , you need to create the room based on the template you created

immediately after creating a room, you will get a link which will redirects to the room you created. This will be under the role (Collaboration).

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do have all the collaboration roles added including the role you mentioned,the room template i created is valid and no errors. then created a room using the room template and sent the room invitation while creating the rooms.

when i click the link to enter into the room, it opens in a browser says "page cannot be displayed".If i try to enter within portal,it takes me to room maintenance screen again..is there any missing paramter ? what is wrong and how do i check if everything's correct.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any Prerequisites to create a room, i have assigned necessary roles,created room templates,created room using the room templates and sent the link to members..

But, unable to enter into the room. ( Room for discussion between the members )...Pls Help

Should KM & TREX be installed ? How do i make sure if they're installed/enbled for Collboration.

former_member206159
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you need to install KM and TREX otherwise collaboration will not work.

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

It would have been installed. how do i check if it is installed and how can i configure KM and TREX for Collaboration ? Thanks...

former_member206159
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If KM and TREX are installed then you can see the content in the path

Content administration -> km content

check the SAP default repositories like documents, room structures, room extensions, xml forms etc....

Also go to the path system admin -> system config -> Knowledge Management -> Index administration

Try to create an index here.

otherwise ask your basis guys about the installed components for more help.

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see trex folder in unix server..but,i am not sure what is installed / missing / configured. I couldn't find TREXAdmin tool..

> check the SAP default repositories like documents, room structures, room extensions, xml forms etc..

I see these default repositories except xml forms...but, i am able to open xml forms builder under content mgt->forms builder..

> Also go to the path system admin -> system config -> Knowledge Management -> Index administration > Try to create an index here.

I tried creating index here. but getting an error...

"Index could not be created; creating index failed: Invalid entry in configuration: section nameserver, key address, value tcpip://<nameserverhost>:<nameserverport> is invalid (Errorcode 7213)"

It looks like its not configured..can you pls tell me the minimal configuration required for running collaboration ? Any links or pdf on this would be really helpful...Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

And i checked the TREX Server status under TREX monitor..which says

"The name server is not running or no name server is configured in TREX Service Properties. Start J2EE Admin to change the properties. "

where exactly do i need to configure name server in VA ? pls explain..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raghu,

Thanks for the links..

Can you please clarify me how to check the nameserver and instance number for TREX ?

I see there is a SID in the server for TREX, how do i figure out the nameserver and port ?

i tried with..http://hostname:3(instance number)05...but, nothing happens.

Will i get any page similar to java engine ? How do i check my SID and Server and see if it is working ?

I am trying to configure nameserver and port in VA and try to ping the TREX Server..Please help.

former_member206159
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To register TREX hosts with the Portal, you have to first locate the name server and port of the TREX Installation. This is located in sapmsg.ini. You have to then set up the TREX name server in the J2EE Engine with the Visual Administrator.

To locate the name server and port

.Log on to the server as an Administrator .

.Navigate to the installation folder of TREX (that is C:\usr\sap\trex_00).

.Double-click sapprofile.ini to open the file in Notepad.

.Make a note of the port number. The default is 30001.

.You will need to enter this port number to the J2EE Visual Administrator in a later step.

Trex/Nameserver/Port=30001

To set up the TREX name server in the J2EE Engine

.Open Windows Explorer in the server.

.Navigate to J2EE Admin installation directory (that is C:\usr\sapSID\JC##\j2ee\admin).

.Double-click go.bat to start the J2EE Visual Administrator.

.Log on to Visual Administrator.

.Choose Global Configuration u00E0 Services u00E0 TREX Service.

.Select the nameserver.address properties field.

.Enter the server name of the TREX instance and the port number.

Choose Update.

Choose Save

.Select yes to restart the TREX Service.

To exit the J2EE Visual Administrator, choose Close u00E0 Exit.

Check the connection to the Enterprise Portal

Log on to the Enterprise Portal with super-administrator permissions.

Choose System Administration u00E0 Monitoring u00E0 Knowledge Management u00E0 TREX Monitor u00E0 Server Status.

You should see the status of the HTTP Server, Name Server, Queue Server, and Index Server is Available.

For Connecting TREX to Remote System

u00B7 The TREX admin tool and the remote system have the same TREX release.

u00B7 The TREX admin tool can reach the remote system via the network.

u00B7 You know the user name and password for the remote system.

Refer for complete detail;;

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/40/83505303bd5616e10000000a114cbd/content.htm

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

First, Thankyou very much for your detalied explanation..

> To register TREX hosts with the Portal, you have to first locate the name server and port of the TREX Installation. This is located in sapmsg.ini.

TREX is on Solaris and I don't find sapmsg.ini anywhere...

I see TX2 and trex_60 folders..

Under trex_60 -->TREXNameserver.ini and sapprofile.ini says the port number 36001..

So, the port number should be 36001. But,TREXWebserver.ini says the http server..."http://hostname:36005/TREX>"

>.Log on to the server as an Administrator .

> .Navigate to the installation folder of TREX (that is C:\usr\sap\trex_00).

> .Double-click sapprofile.ini to open the file in Notepad.

> .Make a note of the port number. The default is 30001.

Its Solaris and we have trex_60 and the port number is 36001 and i see the system name TRX

> .You will need to enter this port number to the J2EE Visual Administrator in a later step.

> Trex/Nameserver/Port=30001

In my case,should this be..

Trex/Nameserver/Port=36001

Trex/"hostname"/Port=36001

Trex/TRX/Port=36001

And i am still not clear with the relationship of TREX with Collaboration and how does it interrelated in opening the collaboration link in the email and enter into the room ? Can you please explain ?

former_member206159
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

TREX is just a search engine which searches the folders and documents in the KM content.

Your collaboration rooms details , room content , collaobration related docuemtns and links, news etc...are stored dynamically in the KM conetnt.

without TREX you cannont search the rooms in your Room administration.

If you have lot of rooms created then at some point of time you need search functionality for sure.

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raghu,

Thanks for the immediate response.

But In my case, I have created rooms using room templates and sent the link to the members to enter into the room.

When the link to the specific room is available, the members are not able to enter into the room using the link.. but, we're able to enter the room within portal.

And, Can you please clarify my previous questions on TREX as well ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated...

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

First, TREX has nothing to do with your real problem. Second, have you tried using the default Collaboration Rooms from SAP? They are working correctly?

Did you use the standard SAP room template that already contains discussions as a template?

Did you create a new collab room from scratch? If you create your own room, you first create a new workset, then a room template and assign the iViews.

br,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

> First,TREX has nothing to do with your real problem. Second, have you tried using the default Collaboration Rooms from SAP? They are working correctly?

I figured the problem.The configuration was not proper in Room backend Properties. Its working now.

> Did you use the standard SAP room template that already contains discussions as a template?

Few working and few are not.i beleive it depends on the templates and room categories we use.

> Did you create a new collab room from scratch? If you create your own room, you first create a new workset, then a room template and assign the iViews.

Can you please explain me how exactly we can create and assign our iviews to workset to create discussion room for the members.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have tried updating the nameserver and port in VA then stopped and started TREX service.

tcpip://hostname:36001

but,its not showing up in TREX status running under monitoring..

Is the config correct or anything missing here ? Please suggest..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any help would be greatly appreciated.