cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Pool Required Permissons

Former Member
0 Kudos

What permissions are needed for the app pool user to run crystal from an ASPX page running VS 2010?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry James, but this is not as simple as "such and such" as there are all kinds of variables and environmental factors that always get in the way. Our typical recommendation is; throw the thing wide open and start to choke it down. When it fails, you found out the permissions you need.

This is assuming you are actually asking about an app that uses the Crystal Reports (I don't see that mentioned anywhere in your query). And that you are using the correct version of CR for VS2010...

Umm, just as an FYI, the following may help in formulating your queries:

What do I need to do to get the fastest issue resolution?

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am running a Dot Net 4 ASP app that was created using Visual Studio 2010 using
Crystal Reports Version 13.0.4.x 64 BIT. The Server is a Windows 2008 R2 with IIS 7.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello James

Like I said in my previous post:

this is not as simple as "such and such" as there are all kinds of variables and environmental factors that always get in the way. Our typical recommendation is; throw the thing wide open and start to choke it down. When it fails, you found out the permissions you need.

Or is there an actual issue you are running into?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

The original actual issue that I am running into is when we installed our app on our production server the app pool was being run as a basic user and the application would not work. When we changed the user to an administrator the application worked. My company does not allow websites to be run on the web server as administrator. The network engineer who manages the server has asked me what permissions the user needs but I could not find it documented.
The current actual issue is that this is the second discussion I had to open, over the duration of weeks. The first one was closed by Don Williams due to the fact that I did not specify all the version information of my current system. The close reason was "Great example of how not to post a question, general info results in no useful info in return." Now I have given all the version information that I think could possibly be a variable in this question, but I still get no useful information in return. The proper way for both of my discussions to have been answered was by someone who knows the answer or someone who knows what information is missing from my questions to provide an answer. Instead SAP (a foolish gullible person) response with a chase down a rabbit hole to gather any bits of information with the only intent to be to put the question back on me. It's not helpful and a waste of time for you, I, and anyone who would ever read any of these discussions.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello James

I guess the disconnect here is that this is not Technical Support. This is a community run site. Meaning you may get and answer, you may not. It may be timely, it may not. For the most part we try to provide existing information on issues or point people where they can get the information. We try not to troubleshoot issues. Or if we do, these have a very, very low priority on our work list. Phone customers always come first. For detail on what these forums are for see:

What are these 'support' forums good for anyhow?

Hope this explains a few things,

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One other thing to add re. possible solution for you.

You say that you run the app pool under a “Basic User”. Why not use the Local Service account or Network service account that ships with the OS and are used by default in IIS.  Is there a security concern with either of these accounts?

- Ludek

Answers (0)