cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alpha conversion not possible for Infoobject

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I had the issue to change the length of an IO with ALPHA-conversion from length 4 to 6. Data type is NUMC.

As proposed by the system I disabled ALPHA, changed the length and used transaction RSMDEXITON to switch on ALPHA conversion again. This worked fine so far.

But for an other IO, that is compounding to the first one, the ALPHA conversion was 'deleted' and can not be switched on again.

I don't want to use the transaction RSMDEXITON again, as it was locking objects all over the system and I will run into trouble using it in the productive system.

Is there an other way to switch on ALPHA conversion again?

We are currently working with SAP BW 3.0B SP24.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found an entry for the Infoobject in the tables:

RSMDCNVCMP

RSMDSTATE

Does anybody have a glue, what these tables are good for?

And how these entries came in the (and how to get them out) as this are the only enties in these tables.

Thanks.

Regards

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Not sure about RSMDCNVCMP. As you know, you can run transaction RSMDCNVEXIT at anytime and check/recheck the system. Just wanted to let you know that table RSMDSTATE has the flag that shows successful Alpha Conversion.

Sree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

I called RSMDCNVEXIT and it stated, that 'All Characteristics Have Correct Internal Values'.

In the Help of this transaction it is mentioned that the transaction should only be run, if the System Status field has a different value.

Another point is, that the whole system will be blocked during runtime. As I'm not the only one working on the system...

But thanks for your answer.

Regards

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Have you considered using RSD1 and enabling the alpha conversion for that infoobject?

Sree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

yes, I tried. But every time I select ALPHA as conversion routine and confirm with 'enter', it is automatically removed with the following message:

Characteristic ZFI_A_PN: conversion routine ALPHA was deleted
Message no. R7B217

Diagnosis
The characteristic ZFI_A_PN has the data type NUMC. The ALPHA conversion routine is inappropriate for this characteristic.

System response
Conversion routine ALPHA was removed from characteristic ZFI_A_PN.

But I can select other conversion routines without any problem.

Regards

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

the alpha conversion routine is only used for char type objects to fill the object with leading zeroes if you are posting numbers to it. If you are posting a number to a numc object the leading zeroes will be applied automatically.

example:

object type char, length 8

you post a 1,

with alpha routine you receive a '00000001'.

without you receive '1'.

you post 'abc'

you receive 'abc' with or without alpha routine.

object type numc, length 8

you post a 1,

you receive a '00000001'.

It is simply not possible to assign the alpha conversion to other than char objects.

regards

Siggi

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hi Steve,

> It is simply not possible to assign the alpha

> conversion to other than char objects.

>

> regards

>

> Siggi

Hi Siggi,

sorry, but it is possible. At least in our productive system.

I was pretty sure to have a link, stating the same. I will edit it, as soon as I found it again.

Regards

Steve