cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantage of EP over BSP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

i don't know weather we should compare both or not.

as i am very new to the EP.

and i want to know very basic thing .

actually we are working on BSP for displaying our various reports on web from various modules.

Can we use EP for the same thing. if yes how will it make difference?

Regards

Naresh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As a first phase you can use the iview wizard to just run the BSP. So actually the BSP is still running in the background and the Iview is rendering it.

EP has a lot of other advantages like single signon to other SAP and non sap systems. Actually EP comes into its own when using multiple backends (sap and non-sap). As you expect BSPs run on a single sap system.

As far as functionality is concerned you can re-write your bsp in Java (I am assuming your bsp is in abap here) and port the functionality to the portal. This would mean you could use the same code for other backend sap systems.

I don't see EP as replacing BSPs, especially for longrunning transactions, as the bsp on a sap server will run faster than transfering that processing logic onto the portal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for the reply,

Can u explain

"As far as functionality is concerned you can re-write your bsp in Java (I am assuming your bsp is in abap here) and port the functionality to the portal. This would mean you could use the same code for other backend sap systems."

Do i need to write the BSP in java to port it to the EP.

Can't i port the ABAP written BSP to EP.

Regards

Naresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

The portal ONLY runs JAVA, but the portal can run a BSP on a sap system (written on abap or java). So for example if you wanted to support only one development platform - you can rewrite any abap bsp in JAVA on the portal using JCA or JCO to retrieve info from the backend sap system.

I wouldn't recommend this... if the BSP's exist on a sap system - then you can create an iview to run them on the portal with the iview wizard.

hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks chuckie.

Answers (0)