cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantage JDBC and Libre Office Base Issue

0 Kudos

I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this but I figure I will start here...

In Architect v11.10 I created a new dictionary called 'data_test' and then created a simple table called 'users.' Now I'm trying to set up a JDBC connection to my Dictionary/table using the latest version of Advantage JDBC on a Windows 7 64-bit PC. I added the 'Class Path' to Java 1.8 and am trying to access my table on the ADS server using Libre Office Base version 5.1.1.3. I have a screen capture of my settings in Libre Office Base attached. I can open my data-test.odb file and see my table listed but I get error 5174 and 7041 error when trying to open the Table via my Libre Office Base JDBC connection. It looks like the the path to the data_test.add dictionary file is being cut off and is displaying // ads-srv/data/data_test when it should be //ads-srv/data/data_test.add (see screen capture). I'm wondering if this might be a bug? Does anyone have any experience with Libre Office Base and ADS JDBC?

I looked up the errors and 5174 is DB Link failed to open and the second error 7041 is Table or Index is auto created and is expected behavior...

Thanks,

Joe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Does anyone know of any SQL GUI query tools that use JDBC and are free that work with ADS? Libre Base is not working and we were thinking of trying Crystal Reports but it's pretty expensive...  I'm just now downloading one called DBeaver... Thanks! Joe

0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm using arc:

http://devzone.advantagedatabase.com/dz/content.aspx?Key=20&Release=19&Product=8&Platform=6

There is an basic query builder.

Maybe you can try to use

http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/

Best Regards

Matthias

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Matthias. I also use the Arch application but we need something that we can create an user interface on which is why we are trying to get Libre Base to work. I found some third party SQL GUI applications that do work but cost $100 per user. I tried to install the squirrel-sql app but can't seem to install it. I get a folder permission errors... Joe

joachim_drr
Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure add.users is not the correct table name. JDBC uses a simple connection for connecting the server and then you need to set the catalog to point to the dictionary. Check out the additional properties.

BTW: USER is a reserved word in SQL. You shouldn't name a table like that. Use tblUsers or something similar instead.

0 Kudos

What seems to be happening is that my Dictionary name (which ends in .add) is being removed from my URL Data Source Path and is appended to the table name. The JDBC Data Source URL seems to think the '.' in my URL path means 'end of path' or something? I've tried putting quotation marks around the dictionary name with no luck. I've tried a '\' in front of the '.' and nothing works.

The only Data Source URL that I can log into is

• jdbc: extendedsystems:advantage://ads-srv:6262/data/data_test.add
  • jdbc: extendedsystems:advantage://ads-srv:6262/data;Catalog=data_test.add

If I change that in any way it will fail to log in when I run the login test... and if I remove the .add it fails to connect.

Thanks !

Joe

joachim_drr
Contributor
0 Kudos

what about

jdbc: extendedsystems:advantage://ads-srv:6262;Catalog=//ads-srv/data/data_test.add

Not sure if that solves the issue, but from my experience this is the connection to be used.

0 Kudos

I just tried that and that does allow me to connect but I still have the .add extension issue being appended to my table names. I'll keep that setting. I'm going to submit a bug report to Bugzilla for Libre Base and see where that gets me. Thanks for you help!