cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add new free characteristic to all Workbooks automatically

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have recently migrated our queries and workbooks to BEx 7.  Previously in version 3.5, I can just add a new free characteristic into a query and it will be shown in all the linked workbooks automatically.  Now In version 7, I still can add new free characteristics in a query easily, but then I have to add navigation pane for new characteristics on workbook one by one.  I can do it for the published standard workbook, but there are many other workbooks that using the same query saved in users' favourite or their local PC.  How can I get it also displays on those workbooks automatically like in version 3.5?

Appreciate some help. 

Thanks and Regards

CL

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Previously in version 3.5, I can just add a new free characteristic into a query and it will be shown in all the linked workbooks automatically.  Now In version 7, I still can add new free characteristics in a query easily, but then I have to add navigation pane for new characteristics on workbook one by one.

Did you mean you have got the new char in Nav pane in 3.5 automatically? You can find the free char by right clicking on the report Add drilldown-->...

Nav Pane is to provide easy access to free chars by including those chars exclusively.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In version 3.5, we used to have a section in the workbook to display all the free characteristics, users are using that to do filter and drill down.  If any new char added into query, it will be shown automatically on the workbook once it's refreshed, which usually shown on the row right above the query results.  After converted to BEx 7, this section is equivalent to navigation pane of chars. Of course I can right click to find the new char from the Add drilldown menu and I also can find it in the Query Properties->General page, but then this is a totally different user interaction, we need to re-educate users on this different and notify them whenever a new char is added.  Therefore I am looking for a way to show the new char at nav pane to all workbooks like before.

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
 If any new char added into query, it will be shown automatically on the workbook once it's refreshed, which usually shown on the row right above the query results. 

Is it a standard feature or customized in 3.5 workbook?

Actually automatic reflection in Nav Pane is not possible in 7.0, I believe.

Check "Refresh as Designed" in your query definition.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's a standard feature in 3.5.  'Refresh as Designed' does not provide required result.  Looks like I  need to do it manually for each workbook.