cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add .NET Assembly References to C# 2010 from BOXI 3.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am looking at the BOE .NET SDK Guide, and it says to add references to your project, all you need to do is look at the .NET tab, and find assemblies that begin with CrystalDecisions.Enterprise or BusinessObjects.Enterprise.

I dont have either option available to me, and I am running C# on the BOXI server. I see some random COM references, but I would prefer to use .NET Assemblies. I have modified my .NET Framework Target version to everything available to me (2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 3.5 Client, 4.0, 4.0 Client) and not once did one of those mentioned assemblies appear.

I could access the Web Services DLL's, but I would prefer to use the .NET Assemblies.

I know this is a simple question, but I am just missing something here....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you found an answer?

What I have found out is, that it is posible to use VS 2010 and the SDK for BOXi 3.1, but there is a filter in VS 2010, so if you choose a higher framework (default 4.0), then you can't se the assemblies for BOXi 3.1 since they are 1.1 and 2.0.

But if you change the project to use version 2.0, then you can find and use the assemblies as in VS 2008.

And as a bonus, it also compiles easier, since there is a change in how assemblies are linked in VS 2010.

It is not imposible to work in .NET 4.0 and use the assemblies, but then you will have to browse and include the assemblies you self. Mine is installed in C:\Program Files\Business Objects\common\4.0\managed

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good find Thomas.

The thing to remember is that if you run into any issues at all and need support, you will have to move to VS 2008 and duplicate the issue there or we will not be able to assist you since 2010 is unsupported with 3.1.

Rick, did you try the vs tool that Adam suggested?

Are you only seeing the 12.0.2000 versions of dlls and not the 12.0.1 versions?

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

I checked the C:\BO\Common directory, and there is no 4.0 folder, only 2.8\managed, and in there is only a few dll's and xml files for some assemblies... Crystal Decisions.CrystalReports.Engine, CD.Data.AdoDotNet, CD.ReportSource, CD.Shared, CD.VSDesigner, CD.Web, CD>Windows.Forms....

Which coincidentally are the only ones that show up in the .NET tab...

I have switched back to VS 2008... still not there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found them, and I was able to add them to my project... they were in a different location for me, but I have them all now.

Thanks for all the help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well glad we could help.

I've should have mentioned, that I have installed BOXI 3.1 SP3 on to a virtual machine along with VS 2010, so I have everything on the same machine and environment.

I do not know how others set up at BOXi development environment, but I did manage to find the .NET assemblies in a redistributable SDK, so in theory, is should be possible to set up at development environment, without the full install of BOXi. 3.1

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I strongly suggest not using the XI 3.1 assemblies from the msi and to install them off of the BOE installer by doing a custom install of the .net SDK and the database files if at all possible.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

More than likely they wont show up because XI 3.1 is not supported or tested with VS 2010. You will need to go with VS 2008 if you want to see them listed and reference them via Add References like you are trying to do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I dont think that is it, as I have just installed C# 2008, and still no BOXI .NET assemblies show up when adding a reference, again, regardless of the .NET version I select.

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Install order?

VS should be installed prior to the .NET assemblies being installed and registered.

Other than that I am not sure why you would not be able to see a bunch of Crystal and Business Objects dlls appear there.

Did you check the GAC (windows\assembly) folder to verify that they are there?

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

I installed VS after installation of BOXI.... I will have to check the GAC folders in the morning...

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see a bunch of BO Assemblies in the C:\Windows\assembly directory, but they dont show up on the .NET tab when adding a reference. And I did install VS after BO, and would really rather not have to re-install BO if I dont have to.

Adam_Stone
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can try using the Visual Studio Integration Manager available on this site and see if it picks it up, though I don't think it works with Visual Studio 2010.

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, give what Adam said a try. Do not use VS 2010 with XI 3.1 since it may cause issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am making progress...

It turns out I needed the real VS 2008 not the Express 2008 which I had installed initially, and now I see some of the assemblies, however, I still dont see the CrystalDecison.Enterprise or BO.Enterprise asemblies.