cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about characteristics defination

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,alles.

the user's BW system use 'char 10' for Characteristic 'customer', and the input of '6500577'( only 7 digital and are number), the loading and reporting is ok. Why? It wont add '0' at the beginning of char? are there some transfer routine? Give me some hints. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

i think coz your characteristic 'customer' use conversion routine ALPHA. you use business content 0customer ? take a look

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If i am correct you want to pad '0' before the Customer and want to make it 'char 10'. For this you do one thing

in the routine write like this

move customer to char_10

move char_10 to num_10

move num_10 to customer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dear,

this is a general approach: when you see something that differs from the input format to the output one or compared with standard lenght, go to IO definition in tab 'General' (the fist one): here you can see a 'conversione routine' field (in this case ALPHA); ok, click F1 on it...you will read:

"Conversion takes place when converting the contents of a screen field from display format to SAP-internal format and vice versa and when outputting with the ABAP statement WRITE, depending on the data type of the field.

If standard conversion is not suitable, it can be overridden by specifying a conversion routine in the underlying domain.

A conversion routine is identified by its five-place name and is stored as a group of two function modules. The function modules have a fixed naming convention. The following function modules are assigned to conversion routine xxxxx:

CONVERSION_EXIT_xxxxx_INPUT

CONVERSION_EXIT_xxxxx_OUTPUT

The INPUT module performs the conversion from display format to internal format. The OUTPUT module performs the conversion from internal format to display format.

If a screen field refers to a domain with a conversion routine, this conversion routine is executed automatically each time an entry is made in this screen field or when values are displayed with this screen field."

No you can go to SE37 (or directly jump on it by double-clicking on the conversion routine field!) and test the realted FM: in this way you can directly test what a specific conversion routine does against your field content !

Hope it helps!

Bye,

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello FEI,

I believe it's Alpha Conversion exit. Which convert your external to internal and internal to external format. so if you have given length 10 and enter 7 then it will add "000" and add it and while displaying again convert internal to external and display what you had enter.

Example:

ALPHA conversion exit.

In order to convert a customer (e.g.) number entered by a user (for example, “4711”) into a customer number (“0000004711”)

Hope it helps.

San.

Message was edited by: SAN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It will take 7 digits as string (character) & will truncate it right. I believe no need to add any zeros.

regards

VC