cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A chance for PHP to shine!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Recently two top dogs have posted weblogs one in Java the second in BSP/ABAP both doing the same thing, both have said it'd be great to see it in PHP as well.

Any takers? If there are no takers I'm rushing out to blog it myself just to show that PHP can shine and do it just as well!

JAVA: /people/prakash.singh4/blog/2005/06/30/create-a-weather-magnet-using-xml-feed-from-weathercom

BSP/ABAP: /people/thomas.jung3/blog/2005/07/01/bsp-create-a-weather-magnet-using-xml-feed-from-weathercom

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

To give a leg up I have provided the first part of an implentation to allow user access to the backend.

/people/john.astill/blog/2005/07/21/php-user-management-part-1

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, we can see that not only hasn't John "given up" but also provided inspiration.

Hope there are others out there to follow suit...

cheers,

Marilyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marilyn, I never mentioned in my weblog that the contest was off limits to Zend and SAP people.

To be honest since SAP doesn't officially program in PHP I think it should be open to them ?? I mean all SDNers or?? OK, I'll take myself out of the contest regardless but...What does everyone think?

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

If you mean should someone like John Astill get just rewards? or up the ante for other SAP and ZEND folks?

Sure...creative, supportive, community work should always be rewarded wherever it comes from

It would be fun to pit ZEND gurus against one another too

cheers,

Marilyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think there should be a limit on who can participate (other than a judge of course) because it's being judged on desgin and everything as well.

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Here's the first attempt implemented using SOAP and almost all of Thomas' ABAP. It takes very little PHP to make use of this.

/people/john.astill/blog/2005/07/03/weather-magnet

Message was edited by: John Astill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nice work John looks like we know who the faster typer was

Former Member
0 Kudos

So that was a bit too easy wasn't it?

How about this for a challenge?

PHP User Manager

There are several BAPI's available in the system for working with a user.

BAPI_USER_DELETE

BAPI_USER_DISPLAY

BAPI_USER_EXISTENCE_CHECK

BAPI_USER_GETLIST

BAPI_USER_GET_DETAIL

BAPI_USER_LOCK

BAPI_USER_UNLOCK

Those are a few, what about building a PHP application that could incorporate and use those functions to work with users in the system?

We just need a panel of judges to then judge the outcome and a deadline?

What does everyone think?

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I like this suggestion. Definitely an option to get creative with the presentation too.

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In the spirit of competition I am declining the prize. I should probably have been ineligible anyway along the lines of "competition not open to employees, friends blah blah blah" rules that most have.

To keep this open, I created an interface based on the Web Service, it is still available to be implemented using SAPRFC.

Cheers

JohnA

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just posted a little "Congrats" but had to add the rebuttal at the end

So what does everyone else say to the competition? I also think everyone should be eligble since their is so much room for "presentation" here!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I respectfully acknowledge John Astill for winning the first contest, and then declining the prize (since he works for SAP), but that leaves me with a problem. I still have some prizes to give away!

So, I'm up for taking up Craig's suggested challenge of a PHP SAP User Manager. Anyone up for tackling this one? A free Zend Studio and a signed copy of Andi's book are still on the line!

Let's keep this thing going!

And may the best (non-SAP or Zend employee) contestant win.

Who's up for this?

Rick

Former Member
0 Kudos

HEy Rick, I'd be happy to write up a weblog to help announce this - maybe Marilyn could even help get it some "front page" time? BUT maybe it would look even better if you wrote up a weblog??

Do you have some judges in mind? 1 or 2 from Zend and maybe 1 or 2 from SAP and then maybe a SDNer for a panel of 5? or 3?

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Glad to promote!

Great idea.....

cheers,

Marilyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

So what do you say Rick?

Former Member
0 Kudos

How's it going. Has everyone given up on the idea of a SAP user manager in PHP ?

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I will post the weblog today with a starting point. Hopefully it will generate some interest.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The blogs show how to "Create a weather magnet using xml feed from weather.com"

I can understand that this might be an interesting thing to see within a SAP environment where SAP is being used as a content generator.

However PHP does stuff like this before breakfast. In fact if you have a rummage through PEAR or PECL, i'm sure you could even find an off the shelf extension which does this.

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

This is a valid comment as from a PHP perspective SAP is not needed, you can process the XML feed directly in PHP.

However if you take the BSP example and wrap the XML processing in an RFC (or WS) then you can reuse the same processing for both the PHP and BSP implementations. This would provide reuse and 2 views on the same information.

You could question the practical value of the exercise, but I see it as a fun challenge.

Best Regards

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

True Jason, but the idea is do it the same way the other two were done, true not much to do with SAP but something to show how versitle and how it holds up against the other two, or am I just grasphing at straws here?

So you just have to read the XML data stream and put it through the XLST file right? So who's the faster typer? )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now that's an idea John, do the RFC call to let the ABAP process the data - I'm all for that as part of the "rules"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok I understand now. I'll get my thinking cap on. This thread has put a whole new spin on what I thought was applicable subject matter.

Excellent !

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK. The challenge is on. On behalf of Zend, I'll throw in a free copy of Zend Studio (our IDE) and the latest PHP 5 book from Andi Gutmans, signed by the author, for the person who posts the responding PHP blog entry first.

Maybe we can think of other challenges to keep things interesting. I've got more stuff here to give away, so let's think of some good ones...

Happy July 4th weekend!

Rick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick!

I'm all for others challenges, any suggestions?

How big of a challenge how small? Your giving away the prizes so I wouldn't want to see you empty your pockets without us having to put of a fight you know

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig--

At this point I'm totally open to suggestions. I like the spirit of what is happening on this forum, so I wanted to contribute.

A challenge isn't much of a challenge if there isn't a bit of a fight. I'll let your colleagues on this forum clue me in if you're suggesting one that seems too easy.

So while you're working on this one, think of what would be a good next one.

Rick

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

That is a neat challenge, I'd love to give it a shot. Given the long weekend on this side of the Atlantic there is plenty of time too.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You guys are really amazing. That's the way to spend independence day, huh?

Maybe ZEND would like to observe this challenge.

Anyone out there?

cheers,

Marilyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marilyn as our SDN representative would you be so kind as to collect the enteries per email or something that way we don't all rush out and create a blog on the same thing?

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I could do what Craig asks (collect the blogs), but in the spirit of fairness, I think it best for you to get your blogs to the blog editor and post them yourselves. If there is any "repetitions" I know that all of you are conscientious enough to amend or withdraw.

That way, I won't be a bottleneck for whoever is fastest and most creative and the community can also weigh in

This sounds like fun:

On your mark, get ready.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good point!

Could you keep an eye out for anyone who tries but is not already a blogger?

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sure, and if there are any worries or doubts about their visibility, they can chuck a personal email my way:

marilyn.pratt@sap.com

I also watch this thread so just post here and it will shout to me.

Remember though, this is a LONG weekend and some of us occasionally go offline.

I'm doing that soon as a matter of fact.

cheers,

Marilyn