Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

First, there is this nice blog here about how it works with HANA Basket Analysis with SAP Predictive Analysis and SAP HANA - Part 1

I also looked at Wikipedia for Association Rules: Association rule learning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But if you don't have HANA, and are unfamiliar, using a text file is an easy way to get started.  This time I am using the Expert Analytics part of Predictive Analytics (although I am not an expert, really)

Figure 1

First I realize that I can't access any Association algorithms because I haven't installed R.  Fortunately that is fairly easy and quick in this version.

Figure 2

After installing, you are asked if you want to Configure R - please press OK (and not cancel like I first did)

Figure 3

The only configuration item is to select "Enable Open-Source R Algorithms".  Select that and click OK

Figure 4

Initially when I launched SAP Predictive Expert Analytics it always took me to the "Visualize" room.  I decided I wanted to go to the Predict room first so I change that in Preferences.

Figure 5

In the Predict room, I select R-Apriori under association and configure as shown above.  I have a CSV file that has products and "baskets" (transactions)

Figure 6

Once the items are "configured" you see a checkbox as shown above.

Figure 7

I run the model without any issues (success) and click OK

Figure 8

The above shows the results view.  I consult wikipedia about Lift and confidence.  A lift of > 1 is useful for predicting, according to Wikipedia Lift (data mining) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Figure 9

Figure 9 shows the algorithm summary with 17 transactions (baskets) - this is a small dataset.

Figure 10

Figure 10 is a cloud chart which is part of the results set.  The strongest associations are shown in large text size

Figure 11

Figure 11 shows I decide to output the results set to a CSV file so I can try more visualizations of the results.

Figure 12

Figure 12 shows the results using a heat map with Lift as the color

Figure 13

I switch the Lift and Confidence around and now with the size of the rectangle is influenced by Lift and Color is impacted by the confidence of the rule.

Figure 14

I can also try the "related visualizations"

Off-topic:

When I hear the word "association" I can't help but think of the group Association, the a great musical group from the 60's:

Enjoy the music.

Labels in this area