Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member

I thought this might be worth documenting to maybe save someone’s time getting a resolution to web service Serialization / Deserialization issues.  Recently I was asked to consume a 3rd party WSDL. This meant I had to create a consumer proxy in SAP for the abap to use at runtime.  Everything went well with the proxy generation (at least no errors were reported).  However, once I tried to consume the proxy, an exception was thrown when executing the call to the web service method. 

The exception is seen below:

“SOAP:1,027 SRT: Serialization / Deserialization Failed”

After digging a little deeper (SRT_UTIL) and checking the logs in the “Web Service Utilities: Error Log”, I found the following information:

This led me to take a look at the WSDL and found that the date format of these fields looks as follows:



Obviously SAP was having an issue with the date format.  I then went to the Proxy Service and took at look at the external view:

Inspecting the “SubmissionTime” and “CompletionTime” Technical Type, I noticed that they has been set to the following:   XSDDATETIME_Z

From the dictionary, you can see the type corresponds to:

Since the data being returned from the web service does not conform to a decimal format, a change was needed.  We needed something that could handle this format:



There is another format which is more appropriate:  XSDDATETIME_ISO

So for each of the external view fields in the proxy defined as XSDDATETIME_Z, I switched them to:

After the change, everything worked like a charm..

Bottom line; don’t expect the proxy generator to get everything correct.  It’s pretty good, but it’s not perfect.

Labels in this area