Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Keller
Active Contributor
Dear community. Lately I've read over and over again that this software or that technology is dead. That kept me busy. I've thought about it for a while.

For a start, I don't like the expression "dead". In the context of software or technology, I don't think it's a good word. But that's my very personal opinion. Perhaps it's used too frequently and too quickly. Terms like "obsolete", "outdated", "without further development", "only in maintenance", all fit better for me - but not the term "dead", please. Unless it's really true 🙂

That being said, the use of this term implies to me that software or technology has disappeared. It only lives on in memories. Recorded on screenshots, in books, in documents or other media.

In practice, it often looks different to me, at least in many cases. Let's take my favorite example: SAPscript. Declared dead a thousand times. I still find it in historically grown systems. And it's still used. Even new requirements are constantly being implemented. If this old technology were dead, it shouldn't happen. A SAPscript form should have been converted to a modern technology such as SAP Interactive Forms by Adobe long ago. Maybe about 10 years ago? Actually, it should already be a Smartform. Since around the late 90's?

But it probably will never happen. The reason could be that such a project is difficult to sell. Whenever I talk to someone about converting SAPscript forms, it's obviously about costs. After all, a lot has already been invested in the existing SAPscript form in the past. If you now switch to a new technology without needing or using the advantage of the new technology, nobody cares.

Let's take the printing of an invoice as an example. Regardless of whether it's printed via SAPscript or another technology, the information on the form remains the same. Ideally, the output on printer looks the same. No advantage can be seen by the user from the operating department. Why should he or she spend money for a technology change?

That is why this printing technology is not "dead". It is no longer used to develop a new form. That's true. Or hopefully that's true. But existing forms are being developed further. So "dead" is the wrong expression for me. However, the correct expression will definitely be something like "outdated". And "outdated" can mean that this technology can still be encountered in everyday life. Simply ignoring is often not possible. After all, the technology has a meaning for the customer.

That was a little excursion in my thoughts. How do you think about that topic? Is there "dead" software or technology that you often come across? How do you deal with it?

Best regards, thanks for reading and please stay healthy

Michael

P.S.: Not tired of reading? Explore the Google Cemetry.

10 Comments
Labels in this area