Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MortenWittrock
Active Contributor
What's in a name? Ever since SAP started talking about the HANA database in public, a great many people have speculated as to just what HANA might be an abbreviation of. Several possible answers made the rounds, with "Hasso's New Architecture" and "High-Performance Analytic Appliance" being two of the most popular ones.

SAP quickly made it clear, that HANA is, in fact, not an acronym for anything, but rather a name. That didn’t quite put an end to the speculation, however, so I feel it’s necessary to reiterate that message, as clearly as I can:

HANA
Ain't
No
Acronym

There, that should settle the matter once and for all. You’re welcome 🙂

Updated later: Well, this was written in jest, obviously 🙂 Geeks are fond of recursive acronyms. That is, acronyms that refer to themselves in a recursive manner. One of the most well-known examples is probably the GNU open-source project: GNU is an acronym for “GNU’s Not Unix!”. In the above example, there’s also a logical paradox of sorts thrown in, since this acronym claims to not be one. I’ll leave pondering that to you. Oh, and there’s a bit of Shakespeare in there as well, just because.
1 Comment
Labels in this area