cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEM-BCS - Currency Bearing Unit / Multiple Group Currencies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone got experience of SEM-BCS implementations where the profit centre and the company code have differing local currencies (eg Company Code 1001 is GBP and PC 90001 is EUR)?

If I was to consolidate using a matrix, I'd need to state that either the CC or PC was the <i>currency-bearing unit</i> - but then I would not be able to report in the other unit's currency.

Otherwise I assume I could use 2 consolidation areas, with different group currencies. However, to add further complication, multiple group currencies would still be required for other co codes (JPY, USD...) and profit centres (AUD, CAD...).

Have you any experience of using multiple group currencies in BCS?

Any experience of using different currencies per view (legal v management)?

All suggestions and comments welcome.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for reply - for the moment the matrix unit is out of scope, but I might come back to you sometime!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Halim,

I hope you are still there?

We no longer need the matrix, however we still have multiple group currencies.

Do I create 1 base version for all configuration and then a special version for each group currency (at least GBP, EUR, NOK, USD)?

How does this affect data volumes?

Any potential pitfalls I need to think about?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Scotsman,

Sorry for very late reply. Hope still can assist you.

Yes, you create 1 base version and use the special version each for each currency.

Regarding the data volume, I guess you can not avoid the large data volume.

The one that you must consider, I guess you have to be more carefull with the consolidation process. I believe the user can be confused with the complexities of consolidation process that is working with so many version. And since you work with many currency you will use the currency translation intensively, so becareful with this area.

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Halim,

I imagine the data must be copied to each of the special versions?

The fear is that if we have 2+ versions of PL 00-10 data, then every adjustment made will have to be followed by running the copy task 4 times, the CT task 4 times etc.

SAPnet's document "How to... Set up a SEM-BCS Multi-Group-Currency Scenario" says:

<i>a) The transaction data have to be copied as many times as new group currencies are required.

b) The consolidation tasks of the monitor have to be executed for each group currency separately.</i>

So that pretty much concludes it.

I just wondered if the next bit gave a glimmer of hope:

<i>As long as the tasks are to be performed with the same customizing settings, all this can be done in one version. Only in the special case, that certain tasks should be handled differently in the monitor, additional versions with additional customizing is necessary.</i>

Message was edited by: TheScotsman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Scotsman,

Yes you will have a lot of copying activity.

Your requirement is very complex. To come out with the result, you need that kind of activities. I guess they can't be avoided. When the business is complex, then the system becomes complex, right?

I would say that your business scenario is one of the most complex requirement I have ever seen.I worked for 3 currency version before (but they are for different level of subgroup) and it made me loosing my hair.. )

So I can imagine your scenario can even make you skinny like Stephen Hawkin.....ha..ha...just kidding...

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again Halim,

I'll let you know how I get on with it!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your case is interesting.

Put your issues in SDN, I believe I can learn something from your case and if possible give you some more clues on your design.

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Halim,

I have the similar requirements as you discussed. We need several sub-group currency.

Can you please guide as how to go about it.

Thanks,

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Halim,

I have previously used special versions for the likes of different elimination rules between actuals version and plan version data.

But how does using the special version help with the group currency?

Would you use 1 version (say 100) with your regular configuration, then a special version (say SV1) where group currency is JPY, then another special version (SV2) where Group Currency is in CAD?

Can you provide more info on their use?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to explain this more detail, but I need a more detail on the organisation structure for the legal and management view.

Can you explain the these more detail? I don't want to propose something without looking at the whole picture.

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Second question:

Yes, I need 2+ Group currencies, in the management side, there are different group currencies for each consolidation group.

I will try out suggested the version-per-group currency but I am keen to try another method too, any comments on the idea below?

Having read a SAP paper "How to Set up a Multi-Group-Currency Scenario", it said that seperate versions were not needed. It appears that the data could be loaded multiple times to the same version, but changing the global parameter "Group Currency" each time.

- does anyone see any advantages/disadvantages to this method?

I can think of the following -

Scenario 1: One version, multiple group currencies:

Adv - Less customising (if all other customising settings are the same)

Disadv - Likelihood of confusion for users in loading and reporting

Scenario 2: One Group currency per version:

Adv - Simpler concept for user

Disadv - ongoing maintenance and updates become more difficult

Any further input welcomed, I give feedback!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would suggest to use 1 group currency per version. Because as you said, if you create one version for multiple group currency, user will be confused.

What you can do to minimise the high load of configuration is to use the "special version" function where you make 1 version as the base version and use the special version to "copy" whatever relevant function in the base version to be available in the second version.

I've done the special version. It's very fast and convenient.

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the helpful replies, I have 2 further questions so I'll post them seperately:

In your examples, which characteristic was the currency-bearing unit (management unit or legal unit)?

Or did it change for each version?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you saying that legal and management consolidation currency is different?

Because if you say "company code curreny" is different, then it's normal. The currency translation function will translate the company code currency in to the group currency. Means that your GBP will be translated into EUR where EUR is the currency for both management and legal consolidation.

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do not have the same profit center problem you have. However, we need multiple group currencies. We are being told that best practice is to have one consolidation area with multiple versions. So version 1 would be group currency USD, at end of cycle this gets copied to version 2 where translated to second group currency EUR. Hope this helps.