Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed Bin strategy in EWM

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am working to configure fixed bin strategy in system.I have made following settings in fixed bin storage type-

Use Fixed Bin X

Do Not assign fixed bin automatically X

Conf.Putaway  X

Capacity Check 1

Putaway Rules 2

I have assigned a fixed bin to the product and have maintained maximum capacity 20 G(For testing )

In my storage bin master data I have maintained maximum bin capacity as 20 G again.

Capacity consumption in unit of measure tab based on calculation as total bin capacity/max prod qty (20/20=1) I have assigned 1

In my putaway sequence I have defined fixed bin storage and then reserve storage type.

When I try to create delivery for 25 G ,its directly going to reserve storage.

My expectation is it should first go to fixed bin,remaining qty should go to reserve storage.

Can someone point out what is missing?

Regards,

Khushboo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hello,

did you set "Split During Putaway" to 1 in your storage type master?

Petr

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Petr,

I maintained it and now it is splitting the quantity. But, max bin capacity =25G, Product capacity in Bin =25 G, Current capacity used in bin is 18G.

I created a delivery with 10 G.

It should have split the quantity as 7 (25-18) in fixed bin and 3 in reserve storage.

Although it appears that it has split it in 5 G each.Why did it happen?

Regards,

Khushboo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

capacity check = 1 considers the weight and volume as well.

You better check the full WT creation log, you should see the capacity check log there too.

Petr

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Petr,I don't want system to consider weight and volume(loading weight/Volume fields in WT are blank too).I have not maintained that in my master data also.Why is system considering that? Any default values?

How can I achieve capacity calculation only to be at base unit of measure level?

Regards,

Khushboo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Then set the capacity check = 4 and system will calculate the capacity consumption only by capacity points.

Can you please post the log from WT creation, to see the split calculation?

Thank you,

Petr

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Petr,

Attached is the file with WT details.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

you can find your WT creation log from warehouse monitor using the button "More methods" - Display WT log.

If you do not have log activated, please check this link

http://help.sap.com/SCENARIOS_BUS2013H2/helpdata/EN/2c/8c09a8a7b64fd2befeca987ec793ce/content.htm

Brgds,

Petr

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

ok , same test case with new delivery ,this time total capacity is 30 and fixed bin assigned to product too has a capacity of 30 G,available stock is 23G in bin and new delivery is created for 10 G .System should have determined 7G in fixed bin, instead determined only 5G. Attaching the screen shot of WT log and storage bin master data.

Regards,

Khushboo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thank you for the log.

The error message you have highlighted in the log is the problem.

Please check the HU sitting in the bin, it seems the system is trying to putaway the stock into the HU, which has smaller capacity than the bin. If it is so, please edit and increase the HU capacity and try again.

Brgds,

Petr

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Petr,

Where can I check that?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check the destination HU of your putaway WT first - if there is any. If so, please use the workcenter transaction (or just click on HU in warehouse monitor) and check the following field:

This number is derived from Product master of the packaging material.

Regards.

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

ok,I found that.But the question is now putaway task is already created for 5G .Where can I maintain this Max.Capacity ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can maintain the HU max capacity practically anytime, no matter whether any WTs are open.

Use transaction /n/scwm/pack with work center not assigned to any storage bin and enter your HU. Then you can edit the HU header no matter on which bin is sitting.

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Petr,

As suggested by you, using capacity check indicator 4 will allow me to only consider product qty ,I have assigned that in my storage type.I am unable to comprehend the logic how is system calculating bin capacity.

Steps I did-

Assigned capacity check indicator 4 in storage type 0050.

Assigned fixed bin capacity 30G for product.

Assigned storage bin capacity  30G

Available stock in bin 31G (Don't know why it allowed 1G to be placed here)

Created a new delivery with 10G,and it is again going to same fixed bin.

I am attaching all the screen shots for the settings mentioned above.

Can you tell me-

Why is bin capacity used different from available quantity?

How is system calculating bin capacity and proposing same bin even after capacity is exhausted?

I am sorry for taking too long to fix this and I really appreciate your patience in trying to help me.

Regards,

Khushboo

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

A few more screen shots

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

capacity check = 4 considers capacity points as defined in additional units of measure Tab in Product master.

Quantity check is defined in storage type master - there is a checkbox "Check Max.St.TypeQty"

These are two different functionalities and you can combine them together.

Petr

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

"How is system calculating bin capacity and proposing same bin even after capacity is exhausted?"

Because if you use the indicator 4, NOTHING is checked (no weight, volume, or capacity).

"Assigned fixed bin capacity 30G for product.

Assigned storage bin capacity  30G"

Why do you maintain that twice?

Brgds

Juergen

---

Want to learn EWM?

Check for EWM courses @ https://training.sap.com/curriculum/scm_ewm

Get a SAP Learning Hub Subscription: https://training.sap.com/shop/learninghub

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Product master unit of measure tab is maintained.Can you point out how it shud be maintained?

Regards,

Khushboo

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry, I misplaced capacity check 4 for 1, could have a closer look before posting. Your master data is correct.

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

I am trying to configure capacity check only based on unit of measure.Which capacity check method should be used? Is it possible for system to consider only available stock while capacity calculation and not HU?Why in product master Available stock shown as different from capacity used?

For the question why max capacity is maintained twice?

I thought capacity consumption in product master unit of measure tab is calculated as= Total bin capacity/Maximum product capacity in bin.

Am I wrong somewhere?

Regards,

Khushboo

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

what do you mean with "based on unit of measure"? And what does "G" mean (when you maintain "30 G"?

Juergen

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

That's unit of measure in product master gram. Should allow max capacity 30Gram and beyond it any quantity should go to reserve area.

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

so is there any pointer what could be wrong?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case you want "capacity" check only by quantity, please use the storage type master settings to check the maximum quantity.

As Juergen corrected, the available qty could go above the bin capacity by indicator "4".

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Other than the check box,where do I maintain max storage type quantity?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can find this in Product master at storage type tab. When you create a new fixed bin assignment and you will allow only 1 bin per storage type, the quantity is taken over to the bin.

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

"Should allow max capacity 30Gram and beyond it any quantity should go to reserve area."

OK, you can control the max number in a storage type (NOT in a bin) with the flag "Check Max.St.TypeQty" and maintaining the max quantity in the warehouse product on storage type level (what Petr described above). But you need to split in order that this happens the way you want that.

But you are aware that this whole thing is not really very clever (and I do not mean the unit of measure)? OK, but understanding how the cap check works is of course important.

Brgds

Juergen

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

You mean this setting should be good other than what I have already done (If suppose I want to restrict to 10 EA)to restrict system to use maximum capacity?

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

That should be it (in the warehouse product master).

Brgds

Juergen

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Petr,

I was reading SAP document on capacity check and it says if you completely want to turn off capacity check you should use capacity check 4, Capacity check 1 should be used if :-

1) Check According to Key Figure Product:-

The system calculates the capacity consumption for the product on the basis of the product master.

The capacity consumption is specified at the Unit-of-Measure level in the UOM tab in the Total Capacity can be entered in the storage bin or at the storage bin type level in Customizing.

Is there something missing here ?Now I am not sure why is should go with capacity check 4 instead of 1?

REgards,

Khushboo

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Juergen and Petr,

Thankyou for all your help but I still have a few questions.

Ok let m try asking all questions in one go.-

First time my system worked fine with all the settings mentioned above.

Next time to understand system behavior I did following changes-

Cap consumption in product master 5

Total bin cap in storage bin master=55

Fixed bin capacity for product =11

Available stock in bin =11

St type tab had max qty=10EA

system still allowed 2 more quantity in bin.

I have many doubts arising now-

1)How does capacity consumption field in Product master unit of measure tab impact bin capacity determination?

2) Initially everything worked as expected but later on when I played around with bin cap and capacity consumption factor it didn't work as per same logic. Does that mean changing bin capacity once stock is in bin can cause inconsistency?

3) From my understanding Cap consumption= Total bin cap/Bin cap. for product in fixed bin

but at one point Juergen you asked me why am I maintaining bin capacity twice(in storage bin master and in fixed bin assignment for product).Does that mean what I understand about cap. consumption calculation is wrong?

I hope I ll be more clear on system behavior once you enlighten me

Regards,

Khushboo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1)

Simply when you putaway 1pc of product with capacity consumption 5. Bin capacity is decreased by 5.

2)

Yes. Pls. read:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_em70/helpdata/en/32/c29e423ef70831e10000000a1550b0/content.htm

3)

Capacity consumption = Bin capacity / quantity of product, which fits in there in BUoM

Regards,

Petr

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Max qty is considered from which place?

1) Storage bin master data?

2) Max qty maintained in fixed bin for product?

3)Or max qty maintained in st type tab of product master?

What is the order system in which system checks max qty?

Regards,

Khushboo

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

"but at one point Juergen you asked me why am I maintaining bin capacity twice(in storage bin master and in fixed bin assignment for product).Does that mean what I understand about cap. consumption calculation is wrong?"

Yes, your understanding is wrong.

The max. quantity in the fixed bin assignment is not used in any capacity check (at least I have never seen it working). It is only used for the replenishment calculation.

"Max qty is considered from which place?

1) Storage bin master data?

2) Max qty maintained in fixed bin for product?

3)Or max qty maintained in st type tab of product master?"

1) There is not max quantity in the storage bin.There is a "capacity", which has no unit. And for using that you have to maintain "capacity usage" in the material master. Or in the material master for the HU.

2) As written before, not used

3) Used, if you set the flag "Check Max.St.TypeQty".

Brgds

Juergen

former_member804409
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

If I don't activate a form of capacity check but

1) Select "Check Max.St.TypeQty" in storage type master data and maintain a max qty in st type tab of product master.

Will system still be able to check capacity and propose a surplus bin based on my putaway strategy?

Regards,

Khushboo

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

"If I don't activate a form of capacity check but

1) Select "Check Max.St.TypeQty" in storage type master data and maintain a max qty in st type tab of product master.

Will system still be able to check capacity and propose a surplus bin based on my putaway strategy?"

That also is a form of capacity check. Not very practical, but ok if you have just one fixed bin for each material.

System will propose the next storage type.

Brgds

Juergen