cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCS - master data change in productive system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi group,

We are about to go live with our BCS system, but of course someone got the great idea of changing the company code currency for one of the "non-SAP" companies in the group since the sytem was set up.

When I enter the consolidatin workbench in our production system, everything is considered customizing, so no changes are allowed - even to master data. I''ve searched the "Object changeability" settings of the BW system but couldn't find any settings regarding BCS. I also checked settings in se06 and found a namespace "/FINB/" which I suspect has something to do with BCS (currently set to "Not modifiable")?

What are the correct system settings for the BCS system to function correctly, and what is the normal procedure for maintaining master data in SEM-BCS? - by transport requests or by changing directly in the productive system?

Best regards

Thomas

P.S.: Are there any usefull resources for BCS on the Internet? The help in the system is very limited and I can't find anything on the SAP marketplace.

Message was edited by:

Thomas Ringe Pontoppidan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

The correct behaviour of the BCS system is the transferring of master data with the transport requests. Otherwise, how could you transport some I/U elimination settings (referring to some particular FS items) without having these master data in production?

Best regards,

Eugene

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eugene,

The single selection set changes are made directly in production as with other master data changes. Then the methods using these sets are automatically updated. Sorry if I wasn't clear about this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

I didn't come accross this option yet. And your idea is very interesting. Hope, I'll try it in the upcoming projects.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Eugene

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you both for your very valid points! I'm new to both BCS and the company and the system has been set up by external consultants, so I haven't had the time to think it all through. But of course, a lot of BCS customizing depends on certain master data.

However, like in R/3, the use of intervals and groups might limit the dependencies enough to allow some changes to be done directly in the productive system - I'll have to check that since having to transport all master data changes is not very attractive;-)

Regards

Thomas

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you use FS Item hierarchy nodes or single selection sets in the configuration of eliminations, reclassification, etc., there is no need for transports as the configuration is automatically updated with the master data maintenance when the hierarchy node or single selection sets are updated.

Similar to master data changes in ECC (R/3) in production, it is often the same case in BCS in my experiences.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

Example: you have a single selection containing a set (not range) of separate values. Then you decided to change the set (adding one more value, for example). Are you saying that this single selection change in DEV will be reflected automatically in PROD?

From my experience I know that while using single selections, the system replaces it by the set/range/node. And when a single selection was changed, nothing yet happened with elimination settings using SS. You have to go into each part of the settings in the method and refresh the SS. You'll see that only after that the set of values was changed. It's obvious for me that if I don't do this refreshing in DEV and then import the request into PROD, I'll have the old, not modified, version of my settings.

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

At several implementations master data may be maintained in production. This depends on the controls requirements of the client.

For details to allow master data maintenenace in production see notes 933024, 804057, and 592239.