Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add custom Characteristics required for Batch determination

former_member438159
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am trying to create New characteristics for Country of Origin required in Batch determination. Standard Characteristics LOBM_HERKL allows only single values. However I need custom characteristics which can support multiple COO . I have checked by creating copy of LOBM_HERKL as ZLOBM_HERKL and changing the selection as Multiple value instead of Single Value but it didnt work. Kindly help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok. I'm not sure where I see your multiple values problem coming in. Your batch is produced in either MX or US. That would be in the LOBM-HERKL field.

I believe LOBM-HERKL is allowed in a batch selection class. (I'd have to go check on that, but you can test that yourself too.)

So your customer would have a strategy of either MX or US in it.

Customers willing to take material from both countries would have no value populated in their search strategy for LOBM-HERKL. Or better yet, your plant or delivery point strategy record would have no value for it. So you only create a search strategy record for those customers with a COO requirement.

Craig

former_member438159
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

I can understand that this is violating standard way of finding Country of Origin. But the requirement from Business is for Batch determination strategy (Sales Org/Customer) to find the list of batches against particular country of origin, they have option to filter out during delivery creation. For the same material, batches can be produced in Mexico and US, and they would like to know the batches produced from any of these two countries to be shown in the batch determination list.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Naresh

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well first, the obvious question is why the heck would you want to do this to start with?

The COO for a batch should only have one value. A batch is only made in one country and usually is derived from batch derivation via the production chain to linking back to a specific raw material, or, it is defaulted from the plant where the production/process order is executed.

The LOBM_HERKL characteristic is linked to the batch field MCH1-HERKL and since it is an SAP standard characteristic, you can't change it. Copying the characteristic and changing it won't work either because the field MCH1-HERKL can't hold multiple values. It has nothing to do with the batch characteristic.

You can create your own batch characteristic that is NOT linked to MCH1-HERKL that would hold multiple country values. But they wouldn't be maintained in MCH1-HERKL. It would simply be just another batch characteristic.

So. I'm hoping you can give us an idea of why you want this as a multiple value field and what the business requirement is. In most countries, representing a batch as having multiple COO's would be considered illegal and depending on the product(s) a violation of international trade agreements. In the pharma and drug industry I can guarantee that.

Craig