cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not free. I live in a democracy (India), which gives the illusion of freedom. I am not free to use drugs for pleasure. I pay taxes to support government and policy which I do not agree with. I pay import duty on goods.

Earth is not free. There should be free trade between all nations, and people should be free to go wherever they want.

Is this ever going to become reality?

Al Lal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Bob_McGlynn
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Here is a quote from C. Wright Mills:

"Freedom is not merely the opportunity to do as one pleases; neither is it merely the opportunity to choose between set alternatives. Freedom is, first of all, the chance to formulate the available choices, to argue over them -- and then, the opportunity to choose."

With diverse goals and needs of individuals, a group has to develop ways to work and live together. I don't think there ever was a society where there are not rules, taboos, and traditions. Even what would be considered primitive societies have elaborate conditions imposed on its members.

Should rules be questioned? Yes! The real question is do you believe enough to actively work to change things?

India has a great example of one man whose activities changed the course of Indian history. Not everyone can be a Gandhi, though even small changes happen only through action.

Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Bob

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Excellent points Bob and you highlight two ideas which strike me as being exceedingly interesting in light of where we are headed or purport to be headed from a strategic perspective in business process improvement implementations.

A key part of formulating the choices translates into Conversation - that can be and often is a key precursor to action and transformation. Collaboration in forum discussions, debates and comments in blog context and co-authoring or collaborative publishing in the wiki enables the community to have that conversation, which in turn lays the ground work for the decision making abilities of the conversant parties.

Secondly, process change or re-engineering, which often needs to be debated, discussed, managed in internal projects, only really is successful when focused and committed people are engaged .

When we say Business Transformation, let us not forget the human elements of conversation and willingness to change.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Absolute liberty is not possible because individual liberty stops where other people's liberty begins....

>and people should be free to go wherever they want

That would mean the end of nations. Not very plausible in the visible future...

Greetings,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

More's the pity.

But have you noticed in these enlightened days we have LESS freedom and seem to care less that we do. In my wallet I have five licences and permits which I need to survive the modern world, and at home in my desk I have several more pertaining to my farming activities. I must produce a licence when I buy fertiliser, when I transfer sheep, and when I refill gas cylinders.

I suggested secceeding from the world and living on my own separate reality, but my wife said I was getting paranoid.

Regards

Gareth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Total freedom, like perfection, is not attainable. However we can have more freedom.

People certainly should be free to engage in activities which do not cause harm to others. The sale of drugs, alcohol, and sex, should be completely legal.

Freedom of speech should be guaranteed. When I was a foreign student, studying in Singapore, I was expelled from college for discussing internal politics and criticizing the government. Later, when I returned to Singapore, to work, I was interviewed by the Internal Security Agency, and I had some difficulty in getting a work permit.

In the far future, perhaps there will be a world government.

Give me freedom, or give me death!

Al Lal

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> People certainly should be free to engage in activities which do not cause harm to others. The sale of drugs, alcohol, and sex, should be completely legal.

The probleme here, as pointed out earlier, lies in the fact that other people see a (lot of) the items/activities you consider harmless as very harmful...... I for one, am a great fan of alcohol but do understand the need for regulation as it can have very dangerous side-effects.

> Give me freedom, or give me death!

If you sit back and wait for things to be given to you it could become a long wait

"Live Free or Die" is the official motto of the U.S. state of New Hampshire (Wikipedia) Kinda puts the initiative where it belongs.

Do not take me worng, I have nothing against freedom but I do not think the world will ever get to a high enough level of agreement to achieve this.

Jurjen

mathew_muthalaly
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello there!

Were we unfettered by rules in the stone age? Guess not! Even then - 'might was right'. The strongest male around made the rules. The women did not stand a chance.

Now that we men have been largely forced to pack our muscles - the women stand a chance to intellectually joust with us on more or less equal terms - albeit the so-called glass ceiling in offices.

I guess we will have to live with some curbs on individual freedom to attain a greater level of freedom for mankind in general.

Best regards

Mathew.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The rights of the individual (and minorities) must be protected. We don want a tyranny of the majority.

Man is a selfish creature, who mostly looks after his own interests. Laws are necessary to stop men from harming others.

The world is ruled by evil men who do not care for others, and are only interested in increasing their wealth or power.

Individuals must fight for their rights.

Al Lal

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which is worse - a tyranny of the majority, or a tyranny of the minority?

[Here's a hostile view of libertarianism|http://www.sethf.com/essays/major/libstupid.php]

mathew_muthalaly
Contributor
0 Kudos

It would be tyranny either way. The difference - One has an open door for 'bloodless' change while the other would need radical measures to effect a change.

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks to the European Union there are no longer any frontier controls at the borders between 22 EU countries. That goes some way to addressing the freedom of travel issue, though not for you in India of course. I don't know what Brussels would make of the drugs for pleasure bill, personally I think it is an irresponsible country that would not police such a killer pleasure.

Your vision may seem great but if it became a reality in today's world anarchy would ensue. Give civilisation another century and your vision maybe closer to a reality.

Che

Wil_Wilstroth
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Nope.

Different country, different ruling;

Different ruling, different policy;

Different taxes, different kind of pleasures;

And finally different sort of headaches...

Cheers mike!....

Former Member
0 Kudos

In a word, no.