cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error starting agent instance as service (PCo 2.1.2.0)

0 Kudos

KepWare OPC server 5.3

PCo 2.1.2.0

SAP xMII 11.5

All three installed on the same machine Local host. I was able to add source system and destination system and test connection result was sucessful.

After adding Agent Instance i tried running it with default settings. It gave me error "Error starting agent instance as service".

Not sure if i have configured it correctly or am I missing something.

Under communication tab on Agent Instance there are two checkbox(with Port Number and authentication) :-

MII

Legacy

(Not sure if I am supposed to set it.)

Thanks

Gaurav

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You must select (check) either MII or Legacy on the communications tab and assign a non-used Port number to it. Also, set the Logging level for the Agent Instance to Verbose to see all the agent activities prior to the error message. I would select both communications types and assign a separate Port to each, then at MII set up the UDS server to connect to the correct port for the version of MII; I suspect the 11.5 supports only Legacy mode but have not confirmed that.

- Steve

0 Kudos

Steve,

Thanks.That did help. I selected the Legacy option and specified the port number. I was able to start the Agent instance and it was able to communicate with the OPC server.

But now I am not able to connect to xMII. I tried slecting both the options with different port numbers but it gave me error that only one usage of socket address is normally permitted.

My next step was connecting PCo to xMII and was not able to decide which connector to use. I tried using Default UDC server to connect with PCo but was not able to view any tags in the Query Template. ( I had achieved this using the xMII UDS 4.0).

I read on one of the online resource that there is brand new PCo connector which available only in MII 12.2 for connecting to PCo 2.1. Do u think is the reason why I am not able to establish connection between PCo 2.1 and xMII 11.5?

Thanks and Regards,

Gaurav

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Mae sure that the ports you have specified in the Communiation tab are not specified anywhere else, either in PCo or in another application on the PCo worstation. For testing, set either MII or Legacy and use the same port number for each, just don't chec both boxes at the same time.

2. I think you will need to get the compatibility issue between xMII 11.5 and PCo 2.1 answered by the PCo team; I have no way of testing this.

- Steve

0 Kudos

Gaurav,

You will not be able to connect to MII 11.5 outbound from MII. In your circumstances you will only be able to take advantage of event notifications which are inbound to MII. Until you upgrade to MII 12.2 you will still have to establish your outbound connections through UDS 2.5 or UDS 4.0.

Sorry to disappoint, but most features to take full advantage of the PCo connector will be available in MII 12.2 or later.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

You will not be able to connect to MII 11.5 outbound from MII. In your circumstances you will only be able to take advantage of event notifications which are inbound to MII. Until you upgrade to MII 12.2 you will still have to establish your outbound connections through UDS 2.5 or UDS 4.0.

This is incorrect; PCo 2.1 will provide query support from MII using the Legacy (UDC) connector.

PCo 2.1 supports two MII query interfaces, Legacy (UDC) Mode and PCo Connector. The legacy (UDC) connector is the same connector that was used to connect MII to the UDS. Using this interface, PCo will work just like a version 4.0 UDS.

The new PCo Connector is only available in MII 12.2 and newer. The PCo Connector interface adds substantial functionality over the older UDC connector.

Regards

Chris Carney

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Mae sure that the ports you have specified in the Communiation tab are not specified anywhere else, either in PCo or in another application on the PCo worstation. For testing, set either MII or Legacy and use the same port number for each, just don't chec both boxes at the same time.

The Legacy and MII port settings must be different, or you should receive an error in PCo. As Steve mentioned, a port address can only be used once by any application on a given server. Multiple PCo agents using the same port will cause a conflict as will trying to use the same port for both Legacy and MII connector for a single agent. MII 11.5 only supports the Legacy (UDC) Connector, so I suggest that you do not select the MII connector check box and leave the port setting blank. Select Legacy connector and set a port address for that connector.

To determine if a port is available to use, you can open a command prompt and use the command netstat -a -o to list all the ports which are in use. Please note, this is only active ports.

2. I think you will need to get the compatibility issue between xMII 11.5 and PCo 2.1 answered by the PCo team; I have no way of testing this.

MII 11.5 should work with PCo 2.1. Configure the PCo agent to use the Legacy connector. Create a UDC data server in MII and Pco should work like the UDS.

Regards

Chris Carney

0 Kudos

Thanks Christopher.

I have upgraded to SAP MII 12.0.

This is correct.

PCo 2.1 supports two MII query interfaces, Legacy (UDC) Mode and PCo Connector. The legacy (UDC) connector is the same connector that was used to connect MII to the UDS. Using this interface, PCo will work just like a version 4.0 UDS.

I have configured PCo2.1 with MII 12.0. I tested the event notification and was able to fetch Tag Data using PC0 2.1. It worked just like UDS 4.0.

But I have another query here regarding the tag values fetched. MII is fetching the same data every time inspite of the change in source value. The values are cached somewhere but not sure if these values are cached in MII or PCo or the OPC server. Is there any way to check this or is this another issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav:

PCo does not in any way store tag data. PCo will recieve a query request from MII, convert it for the particular data source and pass the query to the data source. When the data source responds, PCo translates the data into an MII compatible format and returns it to MII.

MII can cache data, though you need to explicitly configure the tag query to do so. If you open your tag query and go to the "General" tab, you will see a check box labeled "Use Query Caching". Default setting is unselected, which means that data caching is off. Selecting the check box will turn data caching on. Check here to make sure that data caching is turned off.

Beyond this, MII and PCo should not be caching any data. I can not comment on how your data source is acting.

Regards

Chris

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member192939
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Gurav,

Did you try with exe in PCo.

Also, Check DCOM settings

Regards,

Ajay.