cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing Connection Pool

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running xMII 11.5.

Many of our Data Servers connect to Oracle. Occasionally an Oracle instance gets restarted and the connections that remain in our pool are no longer useful. I can get around this by disabling and then re-enabling the Data Server which seems to flush the pool. Is there a better way to handle this?

We have other non-xMII systems that allow us to set the min pool size to 0. I don't see a way to do that in xMII unless the "Pool Size" which is documented to be the "initial connection pool size" is also used as the min. Is that the case?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have a validation query set up for the data server, the pooled connections should be automatically verified and cleaned up/replaced when needed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply. We did (and still do) have a validation query setup on this connection. It did not solve the problem. Here is the error we were getting:

com.lighthammer.Illuminator.logging.LHException: An error occurred while creating a DB connection

Does the validation query every time a connection is taken from the pool or just when the connection is fist put into the pool?

All I did to fix the problem was to manually disable the Data Server on the Data Services page and then re-enable it.

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

I vaguely remember one of my colleagues mentioning something along the lines of ...

"There is a patch / fix specific to the connection pool issue".

I tried to look for it but was unable to find it.

See how you go with a search attempt. If you do find something, please update this thread for others. I shall keep digging around as well.

Cheers,

Jai.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Michael.

This should work, since the validation query is checked each time the connection is used. However, if the Oracle database is physically down or the network down, of course you will get situations when no connection can be obtained.

In general, the pool should "clean itself" - if it does not, this is a bug and you should report it.

Rick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

Our Oracle server had a hardware failure which prevented a brief outage. Obviously during that time no connections could be made from xMII. After the Oracle problem was resolved our xMII queries (and there were quite a few of them) kept on failing.

Eventually I disabled/re-enabled the data server and that fixed the problem. If this sounds like a bug to you then I will report it.

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Definitely report it. If you have a validation query, the connections should automatically recycle themselves and not generate a query error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will do. For the record, here is our validation query:

SELECT SYSDATE FROM DUAL

Former Member
0 Kudos

FYI, I have reported this issue through an SAP Support Portal Custumer Message and referenced this forum thread.

jamie_cawley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Please see note 1092587.

Regards,

Jamie

Answers (0)