cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the Usage for a particular characteristics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am dealing with a requirement wherein customer wants validity area for a particular characteristics to be changed.

Just to elaborate I will take an example there is a characteristics SAP_EHS_XXXX_YYY_REMARKS earlier under usage the following details were maintained Rating - PUBLIC, Validity area category - REGION  and Validity area - GB but now the requirement is characteristics should be available for Validity area - REG_WORLD instead of GB. This looks simple as we can change the validity area if we are doing for 10 to 20 specifications but the number of specifications is more than 10,000. In that case what is the right way. I checked if we can do it in Generation variant but it will impact all characteristics but we are interested to change the Validity area of one particular characteristics SAP_EHS_XXXX_YYY_REMARKS.

Thanks in advance

Darshan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Darshan

your understanding might be not"100%" correct

1.) if you have e.g. data in property density the "values" maintained (and more) does all have the same "usage". So not the "characteristic" does have the usage, but the "whole data record" does have the usage

So your sentence might be "misleading"

"Just to elaborate I will take an example there is a characteristics SAP_EHS_XXXX_YYY_REMARKS earlier under usage the following details were maintained Rating - PUBLIC, Validity area category - REGION  and Validity area - GB but now the requirement is characteristics should be available for Validity area - REG_WORLD instead of GB. "

=> not the "characteristic" does have usage; the data record as such does have the usage

2.) you mix"maintenace" topics and " wwi layout" topics

If your data record does have "PUBLIC/GB"  and now (because of whatsoever reason) it should have PUBLIC / REG_WORLD just change the validity area..

This is, in your case, a topic of "massupdate" (if i understand your whole requirement); and there is no option to do so, The "only" chance is by using EHS export and then EHS import (I can not recommend this in live system)

3.) to look at generation variant is the "last" chance to solve demands and here the special handling of "validity areas" in gen variants comes in place

PLease read here:

The handling of "usage" in WWI reports (and gen variants) is explained there (and you will find good documentation in SAP online help)

IN your case you are (by whatsover reason) in a "bad" starting position as you need to get updates for the values in 10.000 specs....

Before you do that: think twice: is it a good idea to change "usage"? There are lot of subsequent process whcih could be triggered (potentially) if you do mass updates (list is quite long)

If there is the need to have "similar" updates in the future you should look for a long term solution and not on "short term"

If you have the need to execute "similar"  tasks in future in most cases a "secondary data determination approach" is a good option (CUSTOMER SPECIFIC IMPLEMENTATION !(

Therefore check:

May be check as well this:

There is always a solution (that is the good news); the "bad" one: it is in most cases 100% own development

C.B.

satya11719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check with including validity area usage for characteristic where ever you required or you can check with in Generation variant Usage check for the same, please check the screenshots.

Thanks

Satya

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Darshan,

it might be possible using EasyExpert if you have it; I'm not sure it this would work. Another possibility is export - data change - re-import. And finally you could it with an ABAP report.

Best

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your reply.

But, could you please elaborate it further.

Thanks in advance

Darshan