cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Skip updating OLAP step" when trying to process dimension

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Sometimes whan a dimension has been modified (add a new member for example), the process of the dimension fails :

Optimize schema and Update OLAP steps give the message "SKIPPED" and the processing fails.

I notice that the new member are not available in Excel.

Afterward, I have to process the applications using the dimension modified in order to make the dimension process works again.

Do you have an idea on the cause of this behaviour ?

Is it a best practice to process the application after having added a new member in a dimension ? However it seems to be a little restrictive to do that each time.

Thank you very much in advance for your advices.

Lionel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will try to provide information regarding the process, but my details relate to the MS version, so it may be subtly different for the NW version.

When you add a new member to a dimension and set it off to process, you have 2 choices- add in the middle of existing rows, or the end of the member list. If you add it to anywhere but the end of the list, the dimension will perform a "Full-process", to re-orient the rows and re-calculate the entire application, since you have altered the member sequence.

Generally, if you get a failure during the OLAP process, then you already have an issue with some other portion or member set in the application. The best advice is to perform a full-process on every dimension in the application to see if 1 of them has an issue.

If you choose to process the dimension without processing the application at anytime, you must go back and process the dimensions with the application to get everything back in sequence for OLAP to calculate.

Try this and see how it goes. Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for this explanation.

Just one thing :What I understand is that the process (full or not) is managed by the system.

If needed, BPC perform automatically a full process of a dimension (in case of add a new member in the middle of existing rows for example).

And the user can force a full process (by activating the tick) when he want. Is it exact ?

If so, in my case, the error message means that the full process was not done by the system.

I understand that each time I add a member of dimension in the middle of existing rows I have to perform a full process of the dimension and the applications using it.

Is it right ?

Thank you very much

Former Member
0 Kudos

In your instance, it may be hard to tell if the error relates to the dimension you are processing or another dimension that has a processing issue.

However, you statements are correct; BPC manages the need for a full process if it determines one is needed and you may also always select FULL PROCESS in the check box. Either way, BPC will evaluate the need for a full process of the OLAP structures.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for all this explanations, it very helpful.

Kind regards,

Lionel

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nobody can provide me with an explanation, advices or clues ?